The following are alphabetical lists of miscellaneous People associated with the early Adelaide Hills Region which contain information compiled by:  [RB] - Reg Butler (Hahndorf);  [JKS] - JK Stokes (ex Mt Barker); Max Nitschke and other sources.  Generally, snippets of information regarding the respective person/s are provided, however, links to pages containing more extensive information are given where available.  Please add relevant additional information/corrections/comments as desired.

Names:   [ A to C ]   [ D to F ]   [ G to I ]   [ J to L ]  [ M to O ]   [ P to R ]   [ S to U   [ V to Z ]

List of Names  'G' to 'I'

Go To Names Beginning With:    [ G ]   [ H ]   [ I ]

Names - 'G'

GALE, George & descendants

[JKS]  - GALE George (1794-1851) came from All Cannings Wiltshire with his wife Ivy Lucy (CARPENTER) on the Prince Regent. George died at Nairne within weeks of his arrival but his wife lived in Nairne until her death in 1858.  They arrived in Australia with family of John (1821-?), Jane (1823-?), George (1826-1909), Ellen (1828-?) Mary (1830-?), Richard (1830-1880), Sarah (1833-1861), Robert (1837-1851) and Charles (1839-1930).  The daughter Jane married James McKENZIE in Blankiston Church, George had married before he left England and all except his eldest two daughters were born in the "Vallies" area.  Richard married Louisa Jane DALTON in Blakiston Church in 1855 and his family were all born in the area except for those who were born in Crystal Brook, which is where he died in 1880.  Sarah married Robert HAINES and died at Finniss Flat in 1861 and Charles married Eliza Jane RAMSEY in Adelaide and although their first child was born at the "Vallies", he then moved to Bremer and Kanmantoo before settling in Kadina.

GALL, Charles Joseph

[RB]  - Draper and general storekeeper Mt Barker
GALL, Thomas [RB]  - Draper and general storekeeper Mt Barker - 7 years for £113.  ‘... and shall not and will not during the said term remove or permit or suffer to be removed from out of the said messnage tenement or store all or any portion or portions of the shop fittings now erected and placed therein.

[RB]  -  Otto Gallasch’s sons, Ren Son and Jack, used to love shooting and fishing with Allen Thiele.  Son had a 2.5 ton Bedford truck with high and wide single iron wheels especially fitted to get through sand when he took his bee hives to the Ninety Mile Desert around Tintinara.  The truck also carted gravel from the Nitschke gravel pit where the Hahndorf Golf Club House was built later, for the DC to use in shovelled road building.  5 scoops of gravel filled the truck

When Martin Kaesler married Alma Gallasch nee Schroeder he had a garage built against the street of her home next to the Institute.

(Max's Hahndorf)

GALLASCH, David Russel (1934-2008) [RB Obit]  -  Refer David Russel Gallasch
GALLASCH, Johann Joseph [VV#31]  -  Refer "The Pines, Verdun"
GATES, Joseph ( - d 4/11/1953)

[RB]  -  Lived on Old Mt Barker Road on the lower reaches near the Deanery.  Likely to be son of John Gates, a Carey Gully farmer and timber cutter.  Wife Jane Gates, nee Nichols, who sold the Arbury Park School site to Tullie Wollaston in 1911.  She died 20/11/1947.  Went reguarly to Bridgewater every Friday to do his shopping according to a pre-arranged order.  A dear old man.  Was a market gardener on his wife’s family’s land.  Barry Nichols lives on Waters Rd.  His daughter Pearl, Mrs Sinclair Dixon, lived there from Woodville. Mrs Margaret Pearson, nee Nichols, lives at Balhannah, Lindsay Pearson.  Very happy man with good sense of humour.  Helped in the Arbury Park garden, as well as at the Ray Nursery.  Likely to have been working for Tulli Wollaston for many years.  He grafted the claret ash, which became the famous Raywoodii.  Did a lot of digging.  Children loved him, as he put them on his knee, sang ditties and made jokes.  Home called The Oaks, Ann Welfare brought out the acorns from England.

GAULKE, Olive Hilda Rose

 [RB]  -  b 14/6/1886 North Adelaide, daughter of James Rose and Mary Ann nee LINTHWAITE

(Max's Hahndorf)

GAWLER, George (1795-1869)

[RB]  -  South Australia’s second Governor (1838-1841), his term of office both began and ended amid high controversy.  He drew freely on South Australian Company funds to inaugurate an unparalelled era of economic expansion, which ended ingloriously when the Directors refused to honour the credits.  It was during Gawler’s time that the Prussians arrived to settle Klemzig.  The Governor highly valued these settlers, but the British authorities disallowed their May 1839 naturalisation oath.

GILLES, Osmond (1788-1866)

[RB]  -  SAs first Colonial Treasurer, O Gilles had many business interests in land and commerce, and was reputed to be the wealthiest of the early settlers.  Whenever Treasury funds ran out, he lent his own money to keep the Government running.  Of very excitable temperament, Gilles made many enemies in official circles, yet he was extremely philanthropic.  Numbers of prominent SA localities honour O Gilles.


[JKS]  -  George partner of Samuel Davenport at Bugle Ranges.


[RB]  - Publican Gloag’s Inn 1840-1847 Allotment 9 in Cameron St.  Combined this with a garden enclosed with posts and two rails; surface water all the year round.  Small farm of wheat, barley and potatoes, some cattle.  Property known as Rossie Park.  Opened the Crown Hotel, Hutchinson St 1847-1854.  Apparently combined this with a general store.  Died 22/1/1856, aged 48, retired for two years as the publican of the Crown Inn.  His daughter Elizabeth married Alexander Low, who became the Crown Inn’s publican on several occasions.


[RB]  - Clerk of the Court at Mt Barker for 10 years.  Left for Robe in 1870.  Gave excellent advice to those who asked.  Dinner at Gray’s Inn before he left.
GOLDSWORTHY, W [RB]  - Publican Gray’s Inn 1907-1910

[RB]  -  John Jack Gommers – owned a piggery above Hahndorf

His daughter Jean Gommers m Lionel Davids

Plasterer Jim Gommers lived in a house on Windsor Ave when he was first married; shifted to Snowy Paech’s house in English St and Bill Hocking took over the Windsor Ave house.

His daughter Joyce Gommers died in her 20s.

(Max's Hahndorf)

GOOD, Thomas

[RB]  - Storekeeper Mt Barker 1850s.  Was he Presbyterian?  His grain store used to hold bazaars etc.  He sold his business and left Mt Barker towards the end of 1865.

GOODWIN, Rev’d John [RB]  - Preached his first sermon as the Prim Methodist Minister in Mt Barker on 30/8/1868.  Came straight out from England.  A long time since the last minister had left.  The Wesleyan Choir sang.  Fr Craig, Rev’d Mr Goldsmith and Rev’d Mr Law also at the induction.  Crowds there.
GORDON family

[JKS]  - "The Gordon family are not easy to trace.  There were two brothers and, I think, two sisters.  They probably came out with their parents in the early forties.  The brother John James Gordon studied for a year or two for the ministry of the Presbyterian Church along with the late John Clezy.  He was from about 1862 in the service of Walter Duffield & Co., millers, at Gawler.  He married the eldest daughter of the late J.W. Disher of Charleston *.  After the firm of Duffield & Co. ceased to exist, Mr Gordon managed the estate of the late Walter Duffield until he died a few years ago at College Park, Adelaide.  His brother James, went to the north when that country was settled by farmers.  I have the impression that he married a Waddell.  He died a year or two ago at Dulwich, Adelaide."
-Early Mount Barker - Who Was Who? - Rev. W. Gray, Mt Barker Courier July 11 1930

*  J.W. Disher is John Disher, formerly of Nairne, who grew the first wheat crop in the area with John Hillman in 1838.

GRAHAM, JR [RB]  - 1st Secretary and Treasurer of the Mt Barker Cricket Club, formed in 1866.

[JKS]  - "Thomas Gratwick, a miller by trade, was one of several brothers who kept a store at Bugle Ranges.  They rented for a time the windmill that John Dunn built at Hay Valley.  A son belonging to one of the brothers (Albert Edward) died on November 28 1866 at the age of 17 years.  And Thomas himself died on September 7 1876 at the age of 59 years."
-Early Mount Barker - Who Was Who? - Rev. W. Gray, Mt Barker Courier July 11 1930

GRAY, Alice [RB]  - Spinster Blakiston
GRAY, Benjamin (?-3/9/1879)

[RB]  - Gentleman Littlehampton, with Lot 23. Warden, St James’s Blakiston.

[RB]  -  Refer Benjamin Gray


[JKS]  -  build a house in Blakiston called "Gray's Inn", tennented land from Allan McFarlane. Carpenter, brewer, surveyor.  Gray laid out the town of Littlehampton and named it after his former home in Sussex.

GRAY, Guilford Emery

[RB]  - Brewer North Adelaide.  25/3/1877 Gray to Elizabeth Clark widow 5 year lease.  10/7/1878 Lease to George Patrick Long licensed victualler Mt Barker.  He mortgaged the land.

Executor.  20/12/1880 Executor to GE Gray, Eliza Emery Taylor, wife of William Henry Taylor, and Alice Gray.

GRAY, Sarah Elizabeth (?-7/9/1912) [RB]  - Spinster Blakiston
GRAY, Sylvia [RB]  - Widow Blakiston
GRAY, William

[RB]  - Gentleman Mt Barker (?-6/1/1896).  William Selby Douglas and Robert Moore executors.  Hunchback, who entertained the Duke of Edinburgh at his home, Nephalist House, Cameron St, in 1867.  This house supposedly had a tunnel underneath, where medical supplies were stored in WWII in case the Japanese invaded.


[JKS]  - "William Gray, though hardly a pioneer, is still well remembered as manager of the National Bank.  His wife (nee Elizabeth Bosworth) died on June 10 1876 at the age of 67 years.  Their only son William Bosworth, survived both his father and mother and died only a few years ago"
-Early Mount Barker - Who Was Who? - Rev. W. Gray, Mt Barker Courier July 11 1930


[RB] - Mt Barker 1850s


[RB]  - Butcher Mt Barker 1850s.  He applied for a slaughtering licence in March 1854.  When he applied again in 1855, much opposition from people ‘on the ground of the nuisance created by slaughtering in the heart of the town’.  Licence granted for premises on Allot 111, the applicant to have notice to clear and keep clear the premises in Gawler St of all sheep offal, dung etc.  Register 14/4/1855 for 3/4/1855.


[JKS]  -  Bought butchering business from McFarland in  1845, worked in slab hut until 1851, moved business to Gawler Street (butchering carried on in the same shop by a succession of owners until about 1994)


[JKS]  -  Owned land that had formerly belonged to the May family and also to Colemans.  (property belonged to the Herbig family for many years - and part of it still does)

GREGOR family

[RB]  -  Eduard David Gregor and his wife, Johanne Louise nee Kuchel, lived on rented property on the Kirchenbergen (Windmill Hill) for a while, then moved to Sailor Gully off River Road along the Onkaparinga River, where they remained for the rest of their lives.

Alf and Thelma Gregor lived in Hahndorf after their marriage, Alf doing various labouring jobs, until the moved to a home in Shipster Road Kensington Park, where Alf became a conductor on the trams, and then a postman riding his bike in the Tusmore/Glenside area.

Agnes Gregor lived in the Gregor home, which her father Eduard Gregor Junr bought in 1927, milking a few cows.  Agnes then moved to Mitcham and worked for Dr Crafter until her death.

(Max's Hahndorf)

GRIVELL family

[RB]  -  Walter Grivell wife was a Keen had the post office and shop at Verdun.  Drove his tourer car around Verdun in the morning to to pick up orders and then made deliveries in the afternoon.  Bread came in horse and cart from George Rudd at Bridgewater.  Children – June, Elaine, Bob and Peter.  June learnt music from Millie Jaensch at Hahndorf and then taught family and neighbours at Verdun.  Bob was a pilot and killed in World War 11 – before the war he was a keen amateur boxer who learn from Red (a red-headed Irishman) Mitchell’s Gymnasium in Adelaide.  The Gym put on a show in the Hahndorf Institute.  Bob worked in Petersen’s apple orchard and used to carry two cases of apples above his head to train for his boxing matches.  Did not tell his mother at first because she did not approve of boxing as well.  Peter was a doctor of medicine.  Young people used to dance in the space in front of the shop – dancing in the church hall forbidden, except the Farmer’s Jig.  June grew up to become a very beautiful woman.

(Max's Hahndorf)

GUY, John

[JKS]  -  Worked for Duncan McFarlane

Names - 'H'

HACK, Stephen

[RB]  -  The younger brother of well-known JB Hack, both of whom lost out badly in many commercial ideas for investment in SA.  The Hack brothers arrived in the province from Van Diemen’s Land in 1837, bringing with them stock for a North Adelaide dairy and market garden they called Chichester Gardens, after their birthplace in Sussex, EnglishS Hack operated as a Hindley St merchant for a time, before returning to Britain to marry.  Once more in SA (1842-1844), he farmed at Echunga with brother John, but finally went back to Europe again for good.

HACK, Theodore (1840-1902)

[RB]  -  A son of well-known pioneer JB Hack, T Hack was born on his parents’ property at Echunga.  Following time in the Customs and Public Works Departments, Theo went into partnership with his sister, Stella, as managing director of her late husband’s timber yard at Pt Adelaide, in September 1874.  After a disatrous fire destroyed the premises in November 1884, T Hack operated as an architect, land and commission agent until his death.  When in business for himself, Theo held office in the Pt Adelaide and Semaphore Councils.  He also became a member for Gumeracha in the House of Assembly and took part in commercial discussions during negotiations for the formation of the Commonwealth of Australia.  While in Parliament, T Hack headed the Select Committee which eventually recommended the building of the Monarto South-Sedan railway line to help Murray Flats wheat farmers shift their grain to market.  Died 27/12/1902.

HACK, John Barton (1805-1884)

[RB]  -  Born in Chichester, Sussex, England, JB Hack emigrated to SA 1837 Isabella, with his wife and young family.  A person of vision, Hack suffered great misfortunes with his ventures, including a cattle station on the Adelaide Plains, the Three Brothers Survey (Echunga and surrounds) in the Adelaide Hills and many choice Adelaide Town Acres.  He ended his working life as accountant for the SA Railways Goods Department, after taking part in some of the most significant events in colonial SA.

HACK, John Barton & his brother Stephen


[JKS]  -  John Barton & his brother Stephen were early farmers and land owners in the district.  Hack Street is named after him.  Farm was situated on Western Flat between Echunga and Mt Barker.  Hack was a Quaker - his barn was used as their meeting house, he later gave some land for a church and burial ground.

John Barton Hack was born at Chichester, England on July 18, 1805.  He contracted an illness which affected his lungs, and was told to seek a warmer climate, so he sailed for Launceston with his wife, six children and his younger brother in 1836.  Hack spent one month buying livestock and equipment before heading for Holdfast Bay, whre he arrived in February, 1837.

Among his various ventures in SA Hack served on the committee for naming the streets of Adelaide - perhaps this is where your statement "he laid out the streets of Adelaide " came from.

Hack fared well initially but soon suffered some heavy losses.  He bought Blenkinsop's whaling station at Encounter Bay in 1838, but that was taken from him during the 1841 depression.  He bought 4000 acres (1620 ha) near Mount Barker, called Echunga Springs, where he made his home.  Hack planted some of the colony's first vine cuttings and installed a windmill in his garden.  He spent £17000 on Echunga Springs, making it a valuable showpiece.

He claimed he was the most active person in the colony but by the end of the 1841 depression his finances were depleted.  He returned to Adelaide in 1863 due to ill health, and became general accountant to the railways in 1870 and controller of railway accounts in 1879.  He resigned in 1883 and died on October 4, 1884 at his home at Semaphore.

Hack has been regarded as being too soft hearted to be a successful pioneer, having paid high wages, befriended Aborigines and ex-convicts (in those days frowned upon), and advocated temperance, among other things.  He was brought up a Quaker and gave land in Pennington Terrace for Friends' meeting house.

His son Theodore went on to become Mayor of Port Adelaide and Semaphore and to represent Gumeracha in parliament from 1890 to 1893.  - "What's Your Problem" - The Advertiser


[RB]  -  Not very generous employers – Bill Molen learnt trade there, but transferred to Kaeslers who treated employees better.

Eldest Haebich son, Bill, shod horses.  Nicknamed Black Paddy.

Alf Haebich rather mean.  His wife Lil accidentally broke a cup.  When he made a fuss, she pulled the table cloth off the table and smashed all the china – he improved much after that.

(Max's Hahndorf)

HAHN, DM (Captain)

Captain DM Hahn negotiated with the three landowners in January 1839 to obtain the site of the present township of Hahndorf for his Zebra passengers to settle.  They named their new home after the captain who had done so much for them.  Between 1918-1935, Hahndorf was known as Ambleside.

HAINES - the descendants of Thomas & Sophia

[JKS]  - Refer to HAINES - the descendants of Thomas & Sophia
HALL families

[JKS]  - "There were several families of Halls.  John Hall of "Maryfield", Mt Barker Springs, was the best known.  His wife Mary, after whom the homestead was named, came from Roxburghshire, Scotland, died November 14 1862 at the age of 80.  He himself died February 25 1872 at the age of 84.  His son Thomas Hall, lived at Bugle Ranges (part of the property now owned by Mr. Birks).  He died February 5 1884, at the age of 61.  There was a family of ten .  The daughters were Mesdames John Wallace, Adey, Andrew Little, James Williams, Thomas Wakefield, and Miss Annie Y. Hall.  The sons were John, James, Robert and Thomas.  The mother, Eliza Ann Hall, died March 11 1902 at the age of 80 years.  The only survivors of this family are Mrs Andrew Little, Monarto South, and Mr Robert Hall of Glenelg.  Mr John Hall had a brother Thomas who lived at Mt Barker Springs."
-Early Mount Barker - Who Was Who? - Rev. W. Gray, Mt Barker Courier July 11 1930

HALL, Robert

[RB]  - Publican Gray’s Inn 1911-1913
HAMLYN, Thomas (c1800-7/7/1883)

[RB]  - Born Plymouth, Devon, England.  Died Mt Barker Springs SA.  Miner, farmer; Mt Barker Springs.  He is likely to have emigrated David Malcolm, in accord with his eldest son’s obituary.  He established a butcher shop where later Pritchard’s store was located.  Hamlyn’s eldest son, John, was a carpenter and helped to erect a number of Gawler St’s buildings.  His headquarters were in the place where Thomas Good and Barkers later operated a drapery store.  Went overland to the Victorian gold fields, where he and some other Devon men called an ore-rich valley, Devonshire Gully.

HANNAFORD, Frank E [RB]  - Publican Mt Barker Hotel 1935-1936


[RB]  - Clerk of the Mt Barker Market 1850s on John Dunn’s township site.  Is this also William Hannaford butcher and District Councillor in the 1860s?
HARDEMAN, Thomas (c1829-1905)

[RB]  -  Probably a native of Worcestershire, England.  To SA 1838 Lady Goderich.  Eldest son of Richard Hardeman (who died 1868), a sawyer, splitter and market gardener in the New Tiers during the 1840s, before he took up land at Echunga.  Until his 1864 marriage, Thomas helped on the family property, besides following his goldmining exploits.  His wife, Mary, nee Washington, was the eldest daughter of William Washington, of Dusky Farm, Richmond.  Convinced Wesleyan Methodists, the Hardemans lived for the rest of their lives at Milner St, Hilton, where Thomas was a carpenter.  Almost invariably, the colonial press rendered the family surname as Hardiman.

HARDING family

[RB]  -  George Hardiing worked as a linesman for the PMG.  He married Ruby Rehn of Paskeville.  Rented the big house from Mrs Selma Nitschke while they lived in Hahndorf.  They had one child – daughter called Daphne, who married and later divorced Bob Size of Balhannah.  Daphne worked in Zadow’s store before her marriage.

(Max's Hahndorf)

HARDY, Arthur (1817- d 13/7/1909)

[RB]  -  Born at Birksgate, Yorks.  A breakdown in health prevented Hardy from practising law in Britain.  To SA 1839 Planta, where he established a mixed farm along the Torrens River at what is now known as Paradise (then called Shepley).  Improved health encouraged A Hardy to accept Governor Gawler’s invitation to assist at Government prosecutions in the Supreme Court.  A Hardy married Martha, nee Price, on a trip back to England in 1849.  d 18/6/1904.  The young couple returned to Birksgate, a new house Arthur had built at the entrance to the Glen at Glen Osmond, behind which grew an extensive vineyard.  Later, A Hardy built Mt Lofty House, the first stately home on the Mt Lofty summit slopes, as a summer residence.  At Glen Osmond, Arthur developed stone quarries for homes and roads, established a local branch of the volunteer corps during 1859 and was the first person to suggest building a tram system in Adelaide.  He belonged to the influential Education and Central Road Boards, and for a time became a Member of the House of Assembly.  At the time of his death, in Liverpool House, Glenelg, Arthur Hardy was the oldest member of the legal profession in the state


[RB]  - Butcher Mt Barker 1850s.  He applied for a slaughtering licence in March 1854.  When he applied again in 1855, much opposition from people ‘on the ground of the nuisance created by slaughtering in the heart of the town’.  Licence granted for premises on Allot 111, the applicant to have notice to clear and keep clear the premises in Gawler St of all sheep offal, dung etc.  Register 14/4/1855 for 3/4/1855.

Born Newcastle on Tyne, Northumberland, England.  Died Melbourne June 1911.

He and his wife ran a girls’ boarding school in the old Commercial Bank premises in Gawler St.  A great traveller.  Could speak 7 languages fluently.


[JKS]  -  Ran a school for young ladies

HAUTH family

[RB]  -  August Hauths lived in Schmidtke’s house on the corner of Balhannah Road and Church St – then shifted across the street to Bertha Kramm’s cottage.  August Hauth was a day labourer and also kept bees on Hahndorf’s vacant land – did not take the hives to other places.  A bee stung him on the penis and he couldn’t pee properly.  He also bred coloured rabbits for eating.

(Max's Hahndorf)

HAWKINS, Richard Dixon [RB]  - Publican Mt Barker Hotel 1859

[JKS]  -  Wattle extractor


[RB]  -  Heily Bob the bootmaker lived for many years in Mrs Hulda Linke’s home in Church St, and used the rented cottage beside the German Arms in which to conduct his business.  Later, the family moved to another cottage where the doctor’s surgery now stands and Heily Bob conducted his business from his own home.

Heily Bob the bootmaker used the old cottage on the present Pioneer Gardens site as his shop – later moved to a small shed (approx where the doctors’ surgery is now) facing the main street beside Dickson’s former home on the corner of Pine Ave and the Main St. Heilmanns lived in Mrs Linke’s home (later Menzels) in Church St at first, but moved to the main street possibly when the business moved location.

Keith Heilmann was the only person from Hahndorf who enlisted in WW1.

(Max's Hahndorf)


[RB]  - A young man named John Hender, youngest son of an old and much respected resident, died very suddenly a few nights ago.  It appears he slept in the same room as his brother.  The latter hearing a peculiar noise proceeding from him rose, and thinking he was labouring under an attack of nightmare, to which he was subject, laid him upon his side and went to call his father.  When they returned, they found him quite dead.  Register 31/5/1866 - JW Frame MD had examined the body carefully, and it was his opinion that deceased had died from the rupture of a large vessel of the heart.  The jury at once returned a verdict that deceased had died by the visitation of God. Register 8/6/1866


[RB]  -  William Henderson had an orchard at Grunthal – now Maximillian’s Restaurant.  Sons Tony and perhaps Bill.  Used to catch the train at Aldgate – Tony on rollerscates behind his brother on a motorbike to get to Aldgate on a gravel road.  Used to borrow library books from the Hahndorf Institute Library.  Les Hill worked for Hendersons and later for Browns on River Road.

(Max's Hahndorf)

HENDRY, Alexander [RB]  - Carpenter Mt Barker 1850s.  Became a foundation member of the Mt Barker Baptist Church 1873 and elected one of its 1st three deacons.  He built the Baptist Church, on land opposite the ground annually used for the Mt Barker Show and near the Temperance Hall.
HENNIG family

[RB]  -  Their granddaughter Reta Paech and later her sister Vera came to stay with them to go to school at the Public School.  Vera married local farmer Benno Nitschke.

(Max's Hahndorf)

HEUZENROEDER, Theodore [AMF]  -  The first official Postmaster in Hahndorf was the chemist and druggist Theodore Heuzenroeder from 1864 to 1868.  Theodore was the son of Dr. Heuzenroeder and was born at Schwanewede, near Bremen, in Hanover.  He was educated at Bremen, where he received his diploma.  He arrived in the colony in 1859, and after residence in Adelaide he moved to Hahndorf in 1864 to take up his appointed position in charge of the post and telegraph office.  Theodore carried out his Postmaster's duties in association with his chemist's shop and store in the late Mrs. Williamson’s house.  In 1866 he moved to Tanunda, where in 1867 he married Miss Fiedler, of Tanunda, who died in March, 1893.  He died later in the same year as his wife.
HICKS Family

[RB]  -  Jim Hicks came from a butchering family at Mt Torrens.  He conducted a butcher shop which still stands in Hahndorf’s main street.  Fritz made at the slaughter house on the road to Paechtown.  Jim’s offsider, Lionel Barrett, made the mince at the butcher shop and looked after the business while Jim was travelling the district with his butcher cart.  He used to go up Balhannah Road, then around Nitschke’s Corner and along Rebensberg Road to Mooneys and Shady Grove, returning via Windsor Ave.

Jim Hicks married Jean Painter, an only child of well-to-do parents.  Her father bought Alfred Von Doussa’s former home Detmold in Pine Ave for them to live in.  Property renamed Hollydene.  A big grandfather clock flanked by a stuffed alligator/crocodile in the entrance hall.

Jean Hicks belonged to a group of ladies which met regularly to play a card game called Tripoli, which also included counters.  Mrs Hermann Paech nee Alexandra Turner of Hahndorf also belonged to this set.

Son James Hicks was a Type 1 diabetic and had to inject himself daily.  Went on a farm near Bordertown, which his parents bought for him, and was set to inherit his grandfather Painter’s pastoral property Dingle-Be-Dingle near Willunga – died young before his grandfather.

(Max's Hahndorf)

HILL Family

[RB]  -  Les Hill, along with Jack Zadow and AH Miller – cut hair at night.

Victor Hill – bread deliverer for EGP Smith

Some of this family had gammy legs.  Howard Hill became a bootmaker because his leg was poor.  He began his business in a room at the back of his parents’ home in the main street and then moved to the premises vacated by Cecil Balleine the hairdresser at the top end of the main street.

(Max's Hahndorf)

HILL, Ellen [RB]  - Teacher Mt Barker 1855.  Her young sister, Laura Hill, aged 12, died after night delirium of ‘serous apoplexy, for being out in the sun with her head uncovered’.  She had been walking in a neighbour’s garden, but in the evening appeared dozy.  She had her feet put in hot water, and got her to bed, after which had hot fomentations applied to her stomach, and cold lotions to her head, which seemed to allay the pain of which she was complaining and she appeared composed and comfortable.  Deponent went to bed, and was awoke between 1-2 by violent plungings and screaming.  Thought her sister was in a fit.  The foreman Mr Samuel Cook, said the jury were satisfied as to the cause of death, and found that the deceased died in a natural way, and not otherwise, by the visitation of God.

HILLMAN, John & his descendants

[JKS]  - Refer to HILLMAN, John & his descendants

[JKS]  -  John, carpenter, wheat farmer - grew first wheat in SA with John Disher at Nairne, builder of Scott's Creek bridge, had land in the township of Mt Barker as well.  John arrived in South Australia with is wife and 5 children aboard the Katherine Stewart Forbes on 17 October 1837, their 6th child was born at Holdfast Bay, just two days later.  John owned a substantial amount of land in the Nairne, Mt Barker, Kanmantoo and Hay and Native Valley areas during his lifetime, disposing of it all before his death, to his children and creditors.  He married twice, first to Johannah Palmer in 1827 and then to Elizabeth Haggett in 1855.

HIRTE Family

[RB]  -  Gottlob Hirte was a wattle stripper – never milked cows.  His only son Charlie died as a young man and the two daughters married men from Littlehampton.  Gottlob withdrew to several back rooms at the rear of his farm house after his wife died and leased the main house and property to the Nickels family.  Gottlob used to drive a little Morris car.  Eventually, Gottlob decided to live with the Sampson family who managed Major Irwin’s farm on the Western Flat road between Mt Barker and Wistow.  Major Irwin shot himself.

(Max's Hahndorf)

HOMANN family

[RB]  -  Paul Homann used to run a garage at North Adelaide.  Laurie Kramm used to get his truck repairs done there.

(Max's Hahndorf)


[RB]  - Storekeeper Mt Barker  1860s

[RB]  - Saddler Mt Barker £35.  1850s


[JKS]  -  "Henry Hooper, was in business with John Brackenridge, in Gawler Street, in the premises now owned by Mr Whitford.  Henry Hooper was a saddler by trade. Rhoderick McKenzie managed his department and afterwards bought it for himself.  The Hooper's resided in the white house in Walker Street (now Miss Harker's Guest House).  His wife was Jane Brackenridge."
-Early Mount Barker - Who Was Who? - Rev. W. Gray, Mt Barker Courier July 11 1930


[JKS]  -  Discovered and grew Subterranean Clover on the road to Nairne 1889

HOWARD, John Joseph Hardman (?-16/3/1958) [RB]  - Hairdresser Mt Barker.  Known as Boss Howard. Kept a billiard saloon; icecream and cool drink at the front. two hairdressers chairs next; two billiard tables right at the back in the gloom - one still in the RSL Hall - taken up through the French windows.  His hairdressing assistant Barney Withers killed in WWII.  Small in stature, but grand in character.   Well-dressed.  Polished manners.
HUGHES, George

[RB]  -  A NSW ticket-of-leave convict, who escaped with Henry Curran (another ticket-of-leaver) to SA by early 1840.  Joined by a young free colonist, James Fox, the trio determined to become bushrangers.  They robbed three groups of settlers in the vicinity of Gawler and Mt Crawford, before reaching Crafers in the Tiers.  Police captured Hughes and Curran, following a tip-off that the bushrangers were involved in riotous behaviour in the Sawyers’ Arms taproom; the capture of Fox occurred later.  Hughes and his cohorts were kept first in a small stone building, nicknamed the stone jug , in the Adelaide Gaol, and later in the Police Barracks on North Terrace, during the subsequent trial in February/March 1840.  Before a large crowd, Hughes and Curran were hanged from a gum tree near the Torrens River in the North Parklands.  Hughes smoked a pipe to steady his nerves as he approached the gallows, and swore volubly, to the disgust of his mate, Henry Curran.


[RB]  - Cabinetmaker Adelaide £16.  24/11/1854 Andreas Hultgren cabinetmaker Collingwood Victoria to Haken Linde tinsmith and brazier Mt Barker £24.  Linde mortgaged the property to Johann Stade stonemason Hahndorf for £150.  Paid

HUMBERSTONE, James Alexander (c1831-25/2/1902)

[RB]  - Publican Oakfield Hotel 1872-1878

Son of William and Mary Humberstone.

Farmer St Marys, South Road 1850s-1860s

London Inn, Flinders St 1869-1872

Oakfield Hotel 1872-1878

Then farmer at Mt Rat.  Also Stansbury?  He established Mt Rat township in 1882, on a crossroads from all parts of Yorke Peninsula; by 1907, the township was deserted.

Established the Mt Rat Hotel 1882-1888

Established the Grosvenor Hotel, Ocean St, Victor Harbor, in 1896.

Died in Victor Harbor.  A farmer also, perhaps at Stansbury?  Married 1857 Sarah Farmer at Christ Church, O’Halloran Hill. Lived at St Marys Sturt at the time of his marriage and for some time afterwards.

HUMPHRIES, William John

[RB]  - Publican Gray’s Inn 1875-1877

Emigrated with his parents aboard the John Renwick to SA.  His father eventually opened a grocery store at Nairne.  The son was one of 6 drivers who took dray loads of Dunn flour overland to the Victorian gold diggings, when he was 16.  One of the surveyors who helped lay out Wellington and Milang.  Hotelkeeper, Kanmantoo, Mt Barker, Saddleworth, Broken Hill.   Died 16/4/1917, Castle St, Parkside.  m Ellen Jeffery, of Nairne.

HUNBY Family

[RB]  -  Mrs Hunby was a teacher in her cottage - the first school in Bridgewater township.  Her husband was a labourer at Dunn’s mill.  Name of husband.  Date of deaths.

HUTTON, Robert

[JKS]  - Robert Hutton was among the early settlers in the district.  In 1846 he had his church connections with Gouger Street, Adelaide, and on January 12 of that year was elected a member of the committee of management.  He died on Mary 25 1860 at the age of 58.  He left a widow, two sons, and three daughters surviving him.  The family were among the first settlers to go to Monarto between 1868 and 1870.  A son John (Sanderston) and two daughters at Monarto and Murray Bridge, still (1930) survive.
-Early Mount Barker - Who Was Who? - Rev. W. Gray, Mt Barker Courier July 11 1930

Names - 'I'

IRRGANG, Johann Ernst (? -30/4/1965, aged 57)

[RB]  -  Lived on Section 1201, Hundred of Onkaparinga, near the Deanery in 1950.  Came from the Barossa Valley.  Worked for the Downers in their dairy, helped look after the garden.  Lived in the Welfare home.  Took over from Edgar Nichols and lived at the Lodge.  Edgar Nichols’ widow went to live there.  Downers had bought the place at the end of 1946.  Stayed there until 1964, when the Downers sold the place.  Retired to Stirling.  A dairy hand.  The Cox Creek post office was in front of his house, near the Deanery Bridge.  This must have been the property where the Radfords lived.  Worked for the Ray Nursery and then the Downers.  Date of deaths.  Barry Irrgang lives at Holden Hill/Teatree Gully.  MB Irrgang 11 Cedric Ave 251 3352.  Adrian Irrgang 19 Ashhenden road 339 6751.