The following are alphabetical lists of miscellaneous People associated with the early Adelaide Hills Region which contain information compiled by:  [RB] - Reg Butler (Hahndorf);  [JKS] - JK Stokes (ex Mt Barker); Max Nitschke and other sources.  Generally, snippets of information regarding the respective person/s are provided, however, links to pages containing more extensive information are given where available.  Please add relevant additional information/corrections/comments as desired.

Names:   [ A to C ]   [ D to F ]   [ G to I ]   [ J to L ]  [ M to O ]   [ P to R ]   [ S to U   [ V to Z ]

List of Names  'J' to 'L'

Go To Names Beginning With:     [ J ]   [ K ]   [ L ]

Names - 'J'

JACKS0N, Inkerman

[RB]  - Publican Mt Barker Hotel 1897-1908
JACOBS, Arthur Charles

[RB]  - Publican Gray’s Inn 1927-1945

Owned or part owned a racehorse called Solomon - won many races; had many followers among the betting fraternity.  A centre for unlicensed betting.  Apparently, there was a well underneath the main bar.  Called the workers’ pub, because the employees from the tannery and factory drank there.  Did a roaring trade on sale days.

JACOBS, George Henry

[RB]  - Company director a member of Jacobs’ factory.  Trustee, Mt Barker Institute

JACOBS, W

[JKS]  -  Farmer and founder of W. Jacobs & Sons meat works

JAENSCH Family

[RB]  -  Christian Jaensch Senr loved to deal in land – buying and selling and lending money for land deals.  Some people who came to buy meat did not have the money to pay – used to settle debts with small gold nuggets they had fossicked in the scattered mines between Hahndorf and Echunga; some of the small nuggets made into jewellery for his daughters.  Martha Jaensch kept her engagement ring – a gold band decorated by a small diamond mined locally.  Her fiance died of pleurisy befor the wedding took place and Martha never married.  She used to show people her engagement ring.

August Jaensch was stone deaf.  His wife Wilhelmine Minnie Jaensch, nicknamed Mrs Turkey Legs because her legs were so thin.

Max Nitschke once picked three half-cases of plums for Mrs August Jaensch who sold them at a good profit to Tom Shueard the greengrocer across the street.  Max received 1/2d for his work.
Gottlob Jaensch known as the native canary, because he was always whistling.  Father and grandfather of the Blackberry Farm Jaensches on River Road.

Blackberry Farm Jaensches lived on River Road.  Children were Shirley and Gordon. T hey used to get hidings from Teacher Schwartz because they were late for school because they had so far to walk.  Went to Verdun School eventually.  Three children – Shirley Jaensch, Gordon Alfred Jaensch and Hannah Blanche Jaensch, all born Hindmarsh.  Parents –Carl Alfred Jaensch (29/7/1896-18/8/1975) & Hannah Blanche nee ELLIS.  Alfred Jaensch was a son of Gottlob Jaensch and Bertha nee BOM 0f Hahndorf.

(Max's Hahndorf)

JEFFREYS, Edmund

[RB]  - Publican Gray’s Inn 1894-1895
JOHNS, David

[RB]  -  Bought an 83-acre section at Cox Creek from Cornelius Birdseye in 1858.  Johns was a Second Creek nurseryman.  Also a nurseryman at Cox Creek.  Possibly (c1811 Devon- ?).  To SA 1852 Sultana, with wife, Frances, and young family. Date of deaths.

JOHNSON Family

{RB]  -  The Samuel Johnson family lived on a large mixed farm between Balhannah and Hahndorf.  Samuel Johnson Junr married Ella Lydia nee HALL.  The children walked cross country and through Carl Nitschke’s main street farm to reach Hahndorf to go to the Hahndorf Public School.

Family:

Lydia Hannah Johnson b 18/1/1903

William Henry Johnson b 22/12/1904

Samuel James Johnson b 22/4/1906

Ella Winifred Johnson b 24/2/1908

Daphne Irene Johnson b 13/11/1913

After their father died - Bill and Sam Johnson sub-divided the old family property between them.  Sam got the top part leading up to Balhannah Road.  He grew apples on the top of the hill where the grapes grow now – trees watered by bore water.  He lived in the old family homestead, down from the entrance to Cowell’s farm on the opposite side of the road.

An old bachelor, Bobby Francis, had a small holding on the corner of Johnston Road and Jones Road.  A grove of pomegranete trees surrounded his hut.  Weekly shopping trips to Hahndorf, where he filled a Harvester can with beer at Wallace’s Union Hotel.  He filled a pannikin with beer to drink each night while he was resting by the fire.  Used to say that bottled beer was no good because he could not pour it fast enough into his pannikin.  Property infested with bull ants – ‘they hitch and they hitch.  Oh Lord, they do hitch’.  Bobby worked as a casual labourer, including cutting wood, for surrounding property owners.  As he became more feeble, Sam Johnsons looked after him and inherited his land and effects when he died.

Bill Johnson married a Grant girl from Germantown Hill and built a new house in the middle of his property facing the main road between Ambleside Station and Balhannah.  The Bill Johnsons had no family.  In retirement, lived in a new house they built on the corner of Johnson Road and Onkaparinga Road.

(Max's Hahndorf)

JOHNSTON, J [RB]  - Publican Mt Barker Hotel 1870

LUBASCH, Gottfried (1789-1856). A native of Brandenburg, Prussia, Gottfried Lubasch had served in Napoleon’s army in Russia in 1813, where he saw the burning of Moscow. Twice married, Gottfried had a family of five daughters, all of whom eventually came to live in SA. The Lubasch family emigrated aboard the Zebra to the colony in 1838. Gottfried was Hahndorf’s first hotelkeeper, mailman and policeman. Later, he farmed between Hahndorf and Balhannah.

JOLLY, Mr [RB]  - Manager of Dunn’s Mill, Mt Barker, between 1854-1864 and no doubt longer.  He was at the mill’s 21st birthday celebrations.
JONES

[JKS]  -  Squatting in Mt Barker area 1839

JONES, George

{RB]  -  Lived at the sharp bend by the Balhannah Railway Station – already there in the 1920s.  He ran a piggery and a milk round. Used to buy up horses when tractors came in, and killed them to feed the pigs.  Uncle Gus, his son Vic and Bill Chester saw Maurice O’Neill, the Hahndorf Public School head teacher’s son, knocked off his bike and killed as he collided with Jones’s milk round truck as it came out of the drive at the bend [Maurice James O’Neill died 23/6/1945, aged 17].  Eventually sold his farm and moved to a dairy farm near Meningie.  Bill and Kevin Faehrmann built his new dairy, as well as many others in that area.

George played the drums in Max Nitschke’s band.  Max played the piano accordian, Jeff Faehrmann played piano and trumpet and Freddie McCormick the violin.  Used to play for dances throughout the Adelaide Hills and beyond.

(Max's Hahndorf)

Names - 'K'

KAESLER Family

[RB]  -  Ewald and Reine were the first Kaeslers to come to Hahndorf.  They bought Wilhelm Wiese’s blacksmith shop and made trolleys and traps as well as doing general blacksmithing.  Reine designed engines – 31/2, 41/2 and 8 HP stationary petrol engines – cut chaff, saw firewod, pump water and then clover threshers.  Kaeslers had to get their brothers Heine and Martin to join them because the business expanded so rapidly.

Ewald kept the firm’s books at night from details kept on blackboards in the workshop, filled in as jobs were done.  Until WW2, Ewald also did motor repairs, with Vic Klose to help him.  Kaeslers decided to close this business, which Vic Klose bought and opened his own garage on land bought from Kaeslers in Auricht Road.

Heine Kaesler operated lathes and milling machines.  He also did general repairs on farm machinery etc.  Kaeslers could make their own spare parts.  Later this business gradually fell away as people did their own repair work with electric welders.

Martin Kaesler made the woodwork on clover threshers, and also wooden vats for spray carts.  Wood had to be used, because the arsenic of lead ate into metal spray vats.  Great Hahndorf Institute man – used to tune the Institute piano himself to save money.

Martin Kaesler’s son Rex also helped with motor repairs until he joined the Army in WW2.  After the War, he made fork lifts for the apple and potato industries.  His brother, Lance Kaesler, worked the lathes.

Reine used to say Throw it in the creek when people brought their repairs to Kaeslers.  Especially during petrol rationing, people stayed at Kaeslers until repair were done.  Kaeslers were very obliging in emergencies.  The brothers all asked Hahndorf people of any age to call them by their Christian names, but insisted that outsiders use the formal Mr Kaesler title.  All employees received the basic wage and also their share of the profits – no money kept aside for the purchase of new machinery and equipment.

German Dick Jaeger came to SA on a windjammer which was engaged in the grain trade – he used to say that it took a fortnight for a ship to be loaded in SA, but just one day to unload in Hamburg harbour.  Dick jumped ship and found his way to Hahndorf, where he worked lathes at Kaeslers for the rest of his working life.  Bill Molen, a blacksmith with Haebichs, joined the firm as a blacksmith.  He made chasses for potato diggers, as well as general blacksmithing work.  After he retired, he used to come back for several days a week to sharpen plough shares.

Ewald and Martin Kaesler had good sense of humour.  Heine Kaesler was more serious.  He served Hahndorf for years as special constable.  Ewald Kaesler good friends with Gus Nitschke and used to go to Mannum when Gus visited his girlfriend Ida Werner who worked at the Pretoria Hotel.  Ewald spent the day duckshooting while up to his neck in water.

(Max's Hahndorf)

KAIN, Martin Senr. (?-14/10/1902),  wife Katherine (?-3/11/1902)

[RB]  -  Arrived Ship Hooghly (5/12/1848).  Lived at Balhannah, Hay Valley and Murdoch Hill, before coming to Bridgewater.  Martin constructed the first ford over the Onkaparinga River - near Hugh Kerr’s property at Bonney Flat.  Bullock teams brought large stones and logs to make the ford, which remained in use for many years.  4 sons and 5 daughters.  Connected with many well-known families in Mt Barker, Nairne and Kanmantoo districts.  Died three weeks apart in 1902.

KAIN FAMILY - Son of Martin, married Martha Jacobs at Mt Barker on 21/4/1881.  Family lived in the Lion Mill, after it closed down. A farmer at Cox Creek from the mid-1860s.  Great tellers of tales about the cattle stealing and salting down of meat at the Deanery.  Martin Kain bought the Lion Mill c1865.  He worked in Dunn’s Mill.  Family sold in 1920.  Land excellent for gardening, but the property spoilt in 1880 when the railway built.  Three generations lived in the Mill.  The junction of Kains Road and Old Mt Barker Road often called Kains Corner.  People on foot, in buggies and on horseback stopped here to chat after chapel in the old Methodist Chapel on the opposite slope.  5 Kains grandchildren lived in the Mill.  People brought hand carts from far around to get a week’s supply of fruit and vegetables.  Sons were the best sporting family in cricket and football.  Martin Kain Senr date of death - about turn of the century.

KAIN, John

[JKS]  -  Share farmed with Higgins, Clancy & Murphy on land rented from Finnis on the Bald Hills Road towards Nairne.

KAVEL, August (1798-1862)

[RB]  -  Born in Berlin and one of the earliest pupils in the new University there, A Kavel later became a Lutheran pastor in Klemzig, Brandenburg, south-east of the capital.  Dissatisfied with a Protestant Church union which the Government forced upon the country, Kavel at last received permission for him and his congregation to emigrate to SA during 1838.  He was the pioneer pastor in Klemzig and Hahndorf, and in the end settled at Tanunda, where he died.  Fluent in English from working for several years in the London docks, Kavel often represented his people in dealings with the Government and private British settlers.

KAVEL, Ann Catherine

[RB]  -  A native of Leytonstone, Essex, formerly part of Epping Forest, Ann Catherine Pennyfeather emigrated to SA in 1840 aboard the City of London.  She must have met August Kavel during his two-year stay in England between 1836-1838.  Pastor Teichelmann, one of the Lutheran Missionaries to the Aborigines, married the couple on 28 April 1840 at Klemzig.  Mrs Kavel died in childbirth with her stillborn baby son, at Klemzig, on Christmas Day 1842.  The Hailes family possibly visited Klemzig in the 1840-1841 summer, or at the beginning of the 1842 summer shortly before Mrs Kavel died.

KELLIHER, Paddy

 

Irish policeman at Mt Barker during World War 2.  He hated English people, but got on well with those of German descent.  Got lots of letters of complaint against Germans, but generally tossed them in the waste paper bin.

(Max's Hahndorf)

KELLY Family

[RB]  -  Widow Mrs Kelly lived in Ruge’s house in Victoria St.  Her daughter Dorrie later married Lionel Barrett, who worked in Jim Hicks’ butcher shop and kept the fort while Jim took the butcher cart around the district.  Mrs Kelly had a very bad temper – used to hit people with her umbrella at football matches.  Not very honest – once asked neighbour Mrs Selma Nitschke for a load of bark to use to start fires - took a load which included wood hidden underneath.

(Max's Hahndorf)

KENNERICK/MCFADYEN family

[RB]  -  James Alexander Ignatius McFadyen (//c1886-19/5/1931).  Apparently not Born SA.  Died Galway Gardens SA [now part of Marleston – many homes for returned soldiers built there, but some condemned before they could be lived in because they were badly built].  Parents – James McFadyen & ......... m 23/8/1919 RC Presbytery Goodwood

(Max's Hahndorf)

KEMP, Thomas

[RB]  - Watchmaker Mt Barker 1850s

Next door to George Crutchett’s tailor shop.  Did a lot to help put out the fire at Crutchett’s on Wednesday 26/11/1856.

KENNEDY, Richard Patrick (10/3/1889-16/8/1966)

[RB]  -  RP Kennedy served as a trooper with the Third Light Horse during World War I - he fought in Egypt, Gallipoli and France, before returning to SA in July 1918.  Soon afterwards, Richard purchased The Chestnuts, a quaint house on the lower slopes of Mt George, near Bridgewater, where he maintained a market garden for the rest of his working life.  Stately chesnuts still surround the residence, which stands above Foxhill Rd, next to Foxhill, the pioneer Easther and Barton family property.  A quiet, reclusive person, he had relations to stay with him occasionally , but few local residents came to know him well.  Did The Chestnuts form part of Arbury Park estate?

 

[Further Information from Pat Button (pat.button@bigpond.com) dated April 2018] - 

The Chestnuts were not owned by the Richard Patrick Kennedy whose birth and death dates are listed in the above article but rather he was the R P Kennedy of Bridgewater who died in Adelaide and was buried at West Terrace Cemetery.

Given Name(s): Richard Patrick KENNEDY (approx 1862-16Aug1951), Age: 89y, Marital Status: M, Residence: Bridgewater, Death Place: Adelaide,.

The following newspaper article gives the occupation of the WW1 Veteran: 

The Advertiser (Adelaide, SA : 1931 - 1954) Wed 10 Mar 1954 Page 4

Out Among the People (by Vox) - From Horse To Car

Old 3rd Light Horse Regiment friends will be interested to learn that trooper 158 R. P. Kennedy retires today from the SA Railways after 43 years' service.  Known all over the country as Dick Kennedy he has been a SAR road motor driver. In War II he was first in the Pay Corps at Wayville later in Army Transport at Hampstead.

KENNERICK, John Ken (1893-1966).

[RB]  -  Son of a Brooklyn Park contractor, John Kennerick Junr (after leaving school) helped his father cart building sand from the many sand hills in the neighbourhood to supply metropolitan building firms.  Enlisted 10th Battalion 1914-1915 in Egypt & Gallipoli - returned to Australia wounded; re-enlisted 5th Battalion 1916-1919 France & Belgium.  During the 1930s, after marriage to widowed Merle McFadyen, with young children, John managed a 365-acre property (for timber cutting and sheep grazing) on the River Road, near Hahndorf, where Cox Creek joins the Onkaparinga River.  c1941, the family moved to Bridgewater.  Besides looking after his own small mixed farm on the corner of Carey Gully and Old Mt Barker Roads, John made trips to SAs Outback as a member of Frank Walsh’s boring team; later, J Kennerick did the same work locally for another Walsh employee, Jimmy Forbes.  Shortly before John’s death, the Kennericks relocated their home on the farm to avoid the Freeway’s path.

Married the widow Merle MacFadyen, nee Slater, originally of Scotts Creek.  In 1930s. Managed Otto Haebich’s property on River Road.  Sheep and woodcutters. ...  Frank Walsh’s boring plant in Finke etc.  Then with Jimmy Forbes, one of the team, and worked around the hills.  His wife was from Scotts Creek and knew Mrs Kennerick in her young days.  JH Kennerick lived in Bridgewater during the 1950s.  Labourer for the Jimmy Forbes family with boring.  House went under the freeway.  A labourer.  Returned soldier.  Name of wife.  Date of deaths.  Possibly Michael Kennerick (1854- ?)  To SA 1880 Corona from Ireland.  Agricultural labourer.  365 acres in Haebich’s property.  5th Battalion 1916-1919.

KING, William

[RB]  -  A prosperous grazier with a young family in the 1950s, who lived at the foot of Germantown Hill, above the junction of Cox Creek and the Onkaparinga River.  Patches of undisturbed scrub, noted for glorious spring wildflowers, separated the King’s property from surrounding landowners.  Generously, William permitted neighbours to walk cross-country over his land to Bridgewater (often to catch the train) instead of having to take a much longer route by road.

KLOSE Family

[RB]  -  Vic and Linda Klose.  He worked in Kaesler’s and then set up his own motor mechanic workshop on Back Road - now called Auricht Road.

Lew Klose, the eldest of the Klose boys, joined the SA police force after leaving school.  Later resigned and became a day labourer.  Ian became a soldier in WW 11 ; went to New Guineau, where he caught malaria.

(Max's Hahndorf)

KNIGHT, Frederick. (1850-Died 28/9/1927)

[RB]  -  Born 1850 Essex, England.  To SA 1855 with parents in the Hyderabad.  Educated by EL Hamilton, late Inspector of Aborigines.  1863, began apprenticeship with John Dunn.  Later bought the business in March 1907.  Married Emma Milford.  A JP.  Father - Samuel Knight d 21/7/1906.  Martha Knight d 11/5/1883.

KNIGHTON, Frederick (c1845-Died 2/10/1899)

[RB]  -  A native of Monmouthshire, an English county on the Welsh marches, F Knighton emigrated to SA 1865 Lincoln.  Ship-watchers marvelled at this ‘handsome vessel of iron, with every late improvement introduced in construction … ‘ which ‘averaged 280 miles a day across the Southern Ocean for 35 days … ‘  Frederick disembarked at Pt Adelaide in the company of over 400 other migrants, ‘for the most part labouring classes, mingled with a few artisans’.  Because the SA harvest had just about finished, many people worried how such a lot of new settlers would obtain jobs, especially as another four emigrant ships berthed at about the same time as the Lincoln.

A life-long bachelor, F Knighton must have prospered as a labourer, despite initial fears for employment, because eventually he bought property at Cox Creek, where he remained as a gardener for the rest of his life.  Sadly, he died in the Adelaide Hospital, aged only 54, and was buried in the Stirling East Cemetery.  Kind friends announced his death in SAs weekly country newpaper, The Chronicle, of 7/10/1899.

KOUWENHOVEN, Pam (16/4/1944-April 2014

 

[VV#38-Obit]  -  Pamela Kouwenhoven was born in Moonta, South Australia, in 1944.  She had a Diploma in Teaching (Art) and taught at numerous South Australian high schools.  Pam also worked as a painter in the Royal Delft Factory in The Netherlands.  In 1989 she received an Associate Diploma in Art from the North Adelaide School of Art.  Since 1987 Pam had four solo exhibitions, including Memory, Love and Loss, Port Adelaide, 2000, and at The Women's Gallery, Melbourne, 1995.  Her work was included in the groups shows Art Addiction - International Biennial of Female Artists, Stockholm, Sweden, 1995; the Blake Prize for Religious Art, Sydney, 1991; and the Blake Travelling Exhibition that same year.  Pam received several awards and grants including the Port Pirie Art Prize in 2001 and the Heysen Prize for Australian landscape in 1997 and 1998.  She lived in Littlehampton working from a studio in Mount Barker, South Australia; she won the National
Sculpture Prize and was often seen in the Hahndorf Academy.  Thank you Pam, you will be sadly missed .
KRAMM family

[RB]  -  Bill Kramm operated a market garden and regularly took his produce with horse and trolley to the East End Market where he had a stall.  His son, Laurie Kramm, eventually purchased a 30 cwt truck, with a big hand brake as well as a foot brake; Bill Kramm used to operate the hand brake.  Mrs Bill Kramm conducted a general store, specialising in hardware.  Boys used to tease her – asked for striped paint and straight fishhooks.  Mrs Kramm replied that she used to have some but had sold out.

(Max's Hahndorf)

KRAWINCKEL Family

 [RB]  -  Heine Krawinckel came out to SA as the German trade consul during the early days of the new German republic.  His brother had been killed during World War 1. In Heine’s luggage were a revolver and tropical helmet.  Heine eventually married Hermann Homburg’s daughter, Rita.

The couple had three children – Marie, Elisabeth and Peter.  Marie became her father’s office secretary and went to Germany on business for him.  Met and married a German who came back to SA with her.  He was badly hurt in a car accident and never worked again.  Betty Krawinckel became a dental nurse for Dr Peter A Newland, and married dental mechanic Ray Filwell.  Hermann Homburg wanted Peter Krawinckel to become a solicitor, but he refused.  Instead, he worked variously as a farm labourer, then Phoenix sewing machine sales rep, and finally a pilot.  He led a rather wild existence – 18 gallon keg of beer on tap all the time.  Even crashed a light plane in high hills near Echunga and the plane was a write-off.  Peter married twice.  His second wife, Laurel Wheaton, straightened him out.  Her second husband was a Stock Journal reporter.

After finishing his term as trade consul, Heine Krawinckel became Burns Philp manager for SA, amongst other agencies.  During World War 2, he was interned in a low security internment camp.

Hermann Homburg’s son, Renouf Homburg, was a solicitor in the firm of Melrose & Homburg and drove a Renault motor car.

(Max's Hahndorf)

KUCHEL family

[RB]  -  Herb Kuchel worked for Alf Nitschke (brother of Blundy) at Littlehampton.

(Max's Hahndorf)

Names - 'L'

LADYMAN, Joseph

[RB]  - Farmer and horticulturalist Scott’s Creek.  Urbane and gentlemanly manners and kindliness of disposition endeared him to all classes.   During the morning of 6/11/1869, he felt ill in the stomach, went into the bedroom, ‘undressed, and then cut his throat with a razor in such a frightful manner that death must have been instantaneous.’  The jury said he died by his own hand, while labouring under a fit of temporary insanity.  Funeral on Sunday afternoon at St James’s Blakiston.
LAMBERT, Thomas

[JKS]  - "Thomas Lambert figures in the early settlement along with Walter Paterson.  The late Mrs Wallege was his housekeeper, and when he died on May 14 1870 at the age of 80, she got his old fashoined clock which is now in my possession.  It must be over 100  years old. Lambert's funeral was conducted by Alexander Hendry.  He visited Scotland, and on returning to South Australia brought  a parcel of "tokens" for communicants, used, and still in use in the Presbyterian Church, at times when the ordinance of the Lord's supper is dispensed."
-Early Mount Barker - Who Was Who? - Rev. W. Gray, Mt Barker Courier July 11 1930

[JKS]  -  Share-farmed with Walter Paterson on the road to Wistow

LANE, Thomas Gregory [RB]  - Butcher Mt Barker 1920s
LANGLEY, Charles [RB]  - Publican Low’s Inn 1862.  The last one before it closed.
LARKIN, Michael Patrick [RB]  - Publican Mt Barker Hotel 1925-1928
LAVIN, James

[JKS]  -  Tenant of McFarlane near Blakiston, arrived in SA on the ill-fated Java in 1840 as a single man.

LAW, Mr [RB]  - The funeral of Mr Law, father of the Rev’d A Law, took place this afternoon, 29th inst, and was very numerously attended.
LAWRENCE, Mr [RB]  - Driver for the Cobb & Co mail coach between Adelaide and Mt Barker.   His son died in April 1868, after being dragged over the ground by a frightened horse he had to hold.
LAWS, Rev. Alexander

[JKS]  -  Ran boy's school in the basement of the old Presbyterian manse.

LAWSON, Mr

[JKS]  -  Had a station (farm) in the district which was attacked by a party of 15 aborigines in March of 1843.

LEGG, James

[JKS]  -  Butter and cheese maker, had a factory (still stands but not operational) at Blakiston.

LIEBELT Family

[RB]  -  Still instantly recognised as a district surname today, three closely related familes of Liebelts settled Hahndorf as founding families in March 1839.  Aboard the Prince George were the shepherd Christoph Liebelt (62/64 Main St) and the tailor Gottfried Liebelt (9 Victoria St) of Schönborn, while aboard the Zebra was the shepherd Christian Liebelt of Nickern, from neighbouring villages in Kreis Züllichau-Schwiebus, in Brandenburg, Prussia.

All the Liebelts had suffered some degree of religious persecution in their homeland and had decided to emigrate with their revered Pastor August Kavel.  As young adults, all the children from these families eventually married well into other founding families, or into families arriving shortly afterwards, who had work skills for comfortable economic prosperity.

LIEBING, Gustav Adolph Immanuel Liebing (?-20/7/1952 )

[RB]  - Saddler Mt Barker.

Executors Walter Thomas Stephenson, John Linn Frame farmers Mt Barker.  Frightened young people, because he had a grumpy look.  He used to look over his glasses.

LIEBING, Friedrich Traugott (?-16/10/1916)

[RB]  - 29/7/1869 Rundles to Traugott Liebing saddler Mt Barker

LTO 133/92

2/9/1869 He mortgaged his land to TW Boehm teacher Hahndorf

LTO 480/50

16/10/1916 FT Liebing died. Executor FW Liebing hairdresser Adelaide and Pastor Brauer Hahndorf

28/2/1917 Executors to Gustav Adolph Immanuel Liebing

20/7/1952 GAI Liebing died.  Executors Walter thomas Stephenson, John Linn Frame farmers Mt Barker

LINDE, Haken

[RB]  - Tinsmith and brazier Mt Barker 1850s

Member of the 1st committee Institute formed in 1855.  Wife Mathilde died of consumption, North Tce, March 1857, aged 22.

LINEHAN Family

[RB]  =  Joseph Dixon Linehan & Florence Adelaide Coombs.  Publicans at the Hotel Ambleside.  Came from Mile End and Adelaide and moved to Maylands Hotel.

William Kingsley Linehan b 21/4/1913 Mile End

(Max's Hahndorf)

LINKLATER, JM [RB]  - Of the National Bank, left Mt Barker for another appointment in October 1873.  Dinner in the Oakfield Hotel to fare him well.  A good townsman and helpful in his bank duties.
LITTLE, Archibald

[RB]  - Farmer Glenlee, about 2-3 miles south of Mt Barker 1860s.  Presbyterian SS children held their picnics in his big paddock.

 

[JKS]  - Archibald Little was born in the south of Scotland 1813 and came to South Australia in 1839.  He farmed at Echunga first and came to Mount Barker in 1840, having bought two sections of land and named the farm "Glen Lee", now occupied by Mt Wilson.  His son John was born there April 20 1840.  His wife was Miss Mary Rae who died December 1 1877 aged 62.  His family were John, James, Andrew (who died at Monarto) and a daughter Janet.  Mr Little lived to be an old man and was active to the last.  He died August 12 1902 at the age of 91.  His children have all passed away."
-Early Mount Barker - Who Was Who? - Rev. W. Gray, Mt Barker Courier July 11 1930

LONG, George Patrick [RB]  - Publican Gray’s Inn 1879
LOVE & BEZOR families

[JKS]  - These two families have a long association with one another.  James Love was born at Bradford-on-Avon in Wiltshire in 1823.  He married Caroline Bezor in 1845 and migrated to South Australia aboard the ship "Joseph Somes" in 1850.  He was a brick maker by trade, and lived in the Mt Barker area after arrival.  He died there in 1890 and his wife lived on until 1911.  Both are buried at Mt Barker.  Their son Jonah, who was born in Mt Barker in 1855, married his cousin Sarah Bezor in 1885.  Jonah lived in the town until his death in 1941, when he was also buried at Mt Barker with his wife Sarah, who had pre-deceased him in 1906.

Sarah Bezor, who married Jonah Love, was the daughter of Samuel Bezor and Sarah Love.  Samuel and his wife were also from Bradford-on-Avon.  Samuel Bezor married his wife in 1850, shortly before their departure to South Australia, also aboard the "Joseph Somes".  Upon arrival, he spent 2 years brick making at Bowden.  When the goldrush began in Victoria, Samuel left for Forest Creek to try his luck at gold mining.  He returned after a few months, but gold fever had him in its grips, and he returned to Forest Creek to try his luck a second time.  He returned to the Mt Barker area after an absence of about 18 months, and went to work at his trade making bricks for Mr Gray at Littlehampton.  Six or seven years later, he took up work as an overseer with the Central Road Board, a position he retained for over 26 years.  During his tenure with the Road Board, he lived at Crafers, Doctor's Creek and Macclesfield.  In the late 1880's he moved to Mt Barker in retirement, where he passed away in 1901.  Samuel Bezor and Sarah Love had 8 children - all girls.  Some of their children were Mrs G. Ellis of Wistow, Mrs EH Smith of Macclesfield, Mrs J Love of Lorquon, Vic., Mrs (Jane) Andrew Wylie of Mt Barker, Mrs GJ Headland of Netherby, Vic., Mrs (Lydia) William Smith of Mt Barker, Mrs (Martha) Robert Wylie of Mt Barker.  When Sarah Bezor died, she left 34 grand children and 47 great-grandchildren*.

* Information supplied by Mark Schipp, Seoul, South Korea

LOW, Alexander Stewart (1832-26/5/1902) [RB]  - Publican Crown Inn 1858, 1861-1862. North Adelaide in 1863.  He married Elizabeth Gloag, daughter of John Gloag, the founder of the Crown Inn.   St Leonard’s Inn, St Leonards 1865; Corio Hotel, Goolwa 1868-1870, Cremorne Hotel, Unley 1873-1874; later a contractor in Gilles St, Adelaide??.  Also had a general store opposite the hotel in the 1850s, on what had formerly been some of his father’s land.  He extensively rebuilt the Crown Hotel in late 1858.
LOW, Charles (c1802-1/11/1862)

[RB]  - Lived in Fifeshire, Scotland, for at least some time before emigration.  A bootmaker in Rosina/Hindley St 1841-1846, and publican Royal Admiral Hotel 1843-1844 Hindley St.  Then publican Low’s Inn c1846-1862 at Mt Barker.  Died 1/11/1862, aged 60.  He called it the Scotch Thistle for two years-perhaps.  Later became known as the Mt Barker Hotel, and then the Hotel Barker.  The second publican to begin business in Mt Barker.  Wife called Helen Stewart.  At least two sons - Alexander and Robert.

1840 William Dutton Senr esquire Adelaide * Land grant.

1840 Trustees Richard Newland and Edward Gwynne Adelaide

1849 Charles Low licensed victualler Mt Barker

12/2/1851 Mortgaged Lot to George MacLean and then others all the time Low had the property.  This must have been the hotel.

16/12/1862 Will of Charles Low.  All estate to Helen Stewart Low.

29/7/1863 HS Low to Alfred Bonnin, the mortgagee.  Together with lots 78, 79, 80, 81.

Bonnin sub-divided the land.

LUBASCH, J

[JKS]  -  Of Hahndorf, carried the first mail to Adelaide in a pony and trap.

LUBASCH, Gottfried (1789-1856)

[RB]  -  A native of Brandenburg, Prussia, Gottfried Lubasch had served in Napoleon’s army in Russia in 1813, where he saw the burning of Moscow.  Twice married, Gottfried had a family of five daughters, all of whom eventually came to live in SA.  The Lubasch family emigrated aboard the Zebra to the colony in 1838.  Gottfried was Hahndorf’s first hotelkeeper, mailman and policeman.  Later, he farmed between Hahndorf and Balhannah.

LUENERT family

[RB]  -  Bachelors Charlie Gundy and Louis Luenert lived with their parents in a house on the left-hand side of English St.  Like their father, they both became very fond of wine.  Regularly, the brothers bought a flagon of wine from Curly Watson at the Hotel Ambleside.  On the way home, they used to sneak down the creek and drink from the flagon, topping up the container with water, which then sometimes held tadpoles.  Father Luenert accused Curly Watson of selling tainted wine

Charlie Luenert owned a small holding straddling the creek below Hahndorf Public School.  He grew vegetables and watered them with a sprinkler system fed from a pump housed in a tin shed over a well on the property.  The backfiring Kaesler pump engine proved a great distraction to children at the nearby school.  Allan Wittwer later built a brick home on this property.

(Max's Hahndorf)