This Page forms part of the overall Zebra-Project

By clicking on the following Link a list of all Zebra-Project tabbed pages will be displayed.

Johann Gottfried LUBASCH

1st wife Caroline WOLF  -  2nd wife Anna Dorothea GREISER

 

 The articles on Johann Gottfried LUBASCH are divided into 4 distinct parts:

 

Part 1  -  His life, marriages, families, in-laws,  his daughters were shearers & his involvement in the Battle of Waterloo, 1815.

Part 2  -  The daughters, their marriages [McFARLAN, LIEBELT, JAENSCH, THIELE, LIEBELT, PAECH], their lives.

Part 3  -  Maria Elisabeth LUBASCH the beneficiary of her father's will, contested 1857 in the Supreme Court by 3 brothers in law

Part 3b - continuing as above

Part 3c - as above

Part 4  - Their land, home, barn & property dealings including tracing all Certificate of Titles for Section 3812, Hd Kuitpo, from 1844-1990.

 

                                                                  To return to articles related to section 3812, Hd Kuitpo.

 

'LUBASCH's barn'  &  'LUBASCH's home'

on Section 3812, Hd Kuitpo, Hahndorf

Joint project Alan REDDY, Lothar BRASSE & Author

I acknowledge the care and sensitivity taken by the PAECH family over many years of heritage guardianship in conserving these two unique buildings.

 

Summary:

I wrote an article [January 2024]  'Who build the Paechtown fachwerk homes',  which resulted from the interview transcript by Lothar BRASSE with Oswald Friedrich FAEHRMANN in 1975 becoming available for the first time. where Ossie named 'Gethings Barn' as one of the fine fachwerk constructions that his grandfather Johann Carl Friedrich FÄHRMANN built, I explore here who it was that commissioned that building.  In this article I will do that by looking at the ownership of Section 3812, Hd Kuitpo from 1844 when it was first purchased.

Carol PAECH & her family, of Beerenberg Farm, is the current owner of this barn & house and has worked with Lothar BRASSE to ensure they will be preserved for many more years.  This article will demonstrate that this barn, built by Carl FAEHRMANN for Gottlieb LUBASCH was built on section 3812 [as the boundaries were defined before 1844] soon after 1850 and before 1856.

While this particular barn has been called a number of names over the years including 'Hoffmann's Barn',  'Beerenberg Barn', 'Pfeiffer's Barn', as well as 'Gethings Barn' this article will examine which years & to whom these 'barn' names relate.  For instance land owners of section 3812, Stanley Lewis HOFFMANN owned this barn in 1961, & Dr GETHING owned [46 acres of section 3812] in 1881, [and he died in 1882] but neither of them had it built.

This article will follow all the transactions regarding Section 3812, beginning with Certificate of Title 16/15 [with references to 1844] until 1990.

I examine all the known information of ownership & records to determine the original family history behind 59 & 69 Auricht Rd, Hahndorf as well as all the information that leads us to believe that the house known as 'HOFFMANN's place' was  built for the LUBASCH family in 1849ca and that it was  the place where Gottfried LUBASCH died in 1856, and that it was known from 1881-1908 [when the GETHING family lived there] as 'St Julian's' and in the 1960's was the home of the HOFFMANN family.

In the 19th century section 3812 was owned by Johann Christian PAECH for 5 months only in 1881/1882.

 

Family names mentioned in this article:

ADAMS, BANKS, BERGEMEISTER, BOOTH, BRASSE, BUTLER,  DOWNER, FAEHRMANN, FLEMING, FOUNTAIN, GAVIN, GEPP, GETHING, GREISER, GREY, GOMMERS, GREGORY, GRELL, GILES, JEANSCH, HENNINGSEN, HIGNETT, HOFFMANN, KAESLER, KELTON, KUCHEL, LIEBELT, LEUNIG, LUBASCH, MACFARLAN, MANGELSDORF, McDOUGALL, NIELD, NITSCHKE, PAECH,  PAULSEN, PALESY, PFEIFFER, POPE, PROSSER, REHN, SCHACH, SEIDEL, SLAPE, STRENZ, SCHROEDER, SÜSS, THIELE, TOLL, TWINING, Von DOUSSA, WALLACE, WEATHERALD, WIETH, WITTWER.

 

LUBASCH's barn in Heritage Surveys completed in 2004 & 1983.1.1.

Reference:  The District Council of Mount Barker Heritage Survey Part 2, 2004:  by Heritage Online, ANNA POPE & Claire BOOTH, refer to this same structure as 'fr LUBASCH barn, Beerenberg farm, place no 404, page 122' as being on the 'Current State Heritage Places', at lot 29, Mt Barker Rd, Hahndorf and it is described as: 

DC Mt Barker Heritage Survey 2004, page 122DC Mt Barker Heritage Survey 2004, page 122

Page 122: 'Two-level barn constructed using half-timbered walls with wattle-and-daub infill and a steeply pitched cgi [original timber-shingle] gable roof.  Features include timber-framed windows, timber doors and internal timber and wattle-and-daub partitions..... being a significant 1840's half-timbered barn ... steeply itches roof.. an important German design element...in the Hahndorf area....'  Page 123: '...farm complexes and individual buildings which retain a strong heritage.

One of these is the former LUBASCH barn at the Beerenberg farm.  This is one of the earliest buildings in the Hahndorf area and was constructed by pioneer Gottfried LUBASCH in the 1840's.  LUBASCH made a Special Purchase of the 52 acre section 3812 on 17 June 1844 at a cost of 104 pound.  He constructed a large German barn on his land soon afterwards and this formed the focus of his farm for many decades'. 

The SAILIS Certificate of Titles that were published alongside this description CT 5248/965, CT 5477/743, CT 5438/414.  

​Authors Note:  Gottfried LUBASCH died in 1856, he developed the farm over only 12 years, the barn was built for him by Johann Carl Friedrich FAEHRMANN. 

1.2.  Reference

:  Mount Barker District Heritage Survey [Stage one] by Hignett & Company,

 

November 1983,

 Item

No 147, page 135

   'LUBASCH'S Barn', also former or other 'PFEIFFER's Barn, GETHING's Barn'.

 'The barn, which has a German-style timber frame, was built by him [LUBASCH] sometime in the 1840's. Later it was owned by a Welsh ship's surgeon who practised at Pt Adelaide, one Robert GETHINGS'

 'Address: Princes Highway, Hahndorf.' 

The SAILIS Certificate of Titles that were published alongside this description 3948/73

 

 

 

Authors Note:   Johann Carl Friedrich FÄHRMANN arrived from the Hanseatic city of Tangermünde on the Elbe River in 1849, on the Princess Louise.  I believe this barn was built between 1850-1855.  

 

Table of Contents: 

1.    Authors Note

LUBASCH buys.          2.   section 7044 Hd Talunga, 1842

3.   section 3812 Hd Kuitpo, 1844   [CT 16/15] 

4.   section 4222, & 4230 Hd Onkaparinga, 1849, 1851   [CT 107/212]

LUBASCH                     5.   sells 1 acre of section 3812 Hd Kuitpo, 1854  [CT 699/62]

LUBASCH dies.           6.   2 acres & 3 perches of section 3812 Hd Kuitpo to eldest daughter 1860. [CT 16/15]  This ends the documentation on 59 Auricht Rd

7.    Where was he living when he died? 1856

8.    Youngest daughter inherits 49 acres section 3812 Hd Kuitpo 1867.  [CT 107/212]  

1875 Maria Elizabeth LUBASCH sells Section 4222 & Section 4230 to NITSCHKE's. 

9.    Youngest daughter sells section 3812 Hd Kuitpo, 49 acres to Johann Christian PAECH 1881. [CT 208/232].  This ends LUBASCH land ownership.

10.  Johann Christian PAECH sells section 3812 Hd Kuitpo, 49 acres to Robert GETHING 1882.  [CT 399/137]

    see No 13 to follow WEATHERALD ownership  [CT 810/60]

see No 11 to follow FAEHRMANN ownership  [CT 761/56]

11.   R. GETHING died 1883, wife sells section 3812 HdKuitpo, 3 acres to Auguste Martha FAEHRMANN nee WIETH 1907 [CT 761/56]

12.   A.M. FAEHRMANN dies 1927 transfer 2 acres, 2 roods & 25 perches to her husband J.F.W. FAEHRMANN  who died 1935

  • who transferred to Gordon William Dedlef FAEHRMANN  who died 1975
  • who transferred it to R.W. GREGORY & H.C. NIELD in 1977.

the next C of T follows on from No 10 above [CT 399/137]

13.   Jane GETHING died 1908, executor sells section 3812 Hd Kuitpo, 46 acres to George WEATHERALD  [CT 810/60]

1929, G. WEATHERALD transfers 46 acres to James & Albert PROSSER [CT 810/60]

1931, J & A PROSSER transfers 46 acres to Henry REHN. [CT 810/60]

14.   1931  H. REHN transfers to Ellen GAVIN 16 acres of section 3812 Hd Kuitpo 1931. [CT 1590/22]

1933  E GAVIN transfers 16 acres to Henry FOUNTAIN  [CT 1590/22]

1953  H. FOUNTAIN transfers 16 acres to T & A ADAMS  [CT 1590/22]

1961   T&A ADAMS transfers 16 acres to S & E HOFFMANN [CT 1590/22]

17.   E. GAVIN transfers to Olive Annie PROSSER to Henry FOUNTAIN to Stanley Lewis HOFFMANN 1961.

  

1.    Authors Note 

Hahndorf Survey Vol 1 page 88 'Details from Duttons First Special Survey showing the German Village on sections 4002, 4003, 4004.In 1844, after only 5 years in the colony Gottfried LUBASCH & his wife Anna Dorothea GREISER could afford 104 pound for a 'Special Purchase' outside of the 'First Survey', where he acquired 52 acres on the south eastern edge of Hahndorf.  Look close at this First Special Survey map & you will see his Section 3812 included on the S.E. corner of 'German Village'.

The SA Land Returns for 1843 by Andrew & Sandra TWINING,  says that Gottfried LUBASCH had 90 sheep, 13 cattle  2 ponies, 4 pigs, 4 goats, 3 acres wheat, 1/4 acre barley, 1/2 acre potatoes. This was an impressive total when compared to the other early Prussian pioneers. 

While the LUBASCH / GREISER family purchased other sections of land in 1842 this was the only holding close to Hahndorf that was large enough to support the above numbers of cattle & sheep.  Was he able to squat on this land in 1843 prior to his purchase in 1844?.

This was LUBASCH's 2nd major land purchase because he had spent 78 pound on land 44kms further north east on the outskirts of current day Mount Pleasant two years earlier.  See below.

 

2.     LUBASCH buys 1st section

1842 section 7044, 77 acres

Reference:  The Quiet Waters By, The Mount Pleasant District 1843-1993, by Reg Butler

Hd Talunga.

Page 38 “Hahndorf’s German Arms Landlord, Gottfried LUBASCH, was one such who had already made good since his arrival in 1839 and bought the Crown Land site of future Totness in the Hundred of Talunga.”

Page 480 ‘Section 7044, 77 acres, cost 78 pound in 1842 purchased by Gottfried LUBASCH gentleman, Hahndorf.

Page 68...Henry GILES had laid out the township of Totness on adjoining Section 7044, Hundred of Talunga, to the north in early 1958...... in 1856, Giles was already operating a small shop from his home on Section 7031, which adjoined the new Totness subdivision named after his wife's birthplace in Devon. 

Authors Note:  The main towns in the Hd Talunga are Gumeracha, Mount Torrens, Birdwood, Mount Pleasant.  See Section 7044 just outside of Mt Pleasant. 

 

3.    LUBASCH buys his 2nd Section.      

17 June 1844 Section 3812, 52 acres

SA Almanack 1845by E.A. WITTWER

 

The first purchase of sections by Gottfried LUBASCH was acknowledged by Alan WITTWER in 'Pioneers of Hahndorf 1839':  'Section 3812 [52 acres] purchased by Gottfried LUBASCH as a Special Purchase on 17 June 1844 for 104 pound'  

& as early as 1845 in the The Royal South Australian Almanack and general directory for 1845, page 158 [image 162 on the right], 'Sale of Crown Lands, Particulars of Land Sales': Lot 754, 52 acres, near Hahndorf [sic] Gottfried LUBASCH, 52 [pounds]'

 

 

 

 

SAILIS Certificate of Title  16/15 

1844 SAILIS CT Vol 16 Folio 15,  Hd Kuitpo 1844 SAILIS CT Vol 16 Folio 15,  Hd Kuitpo 1844 SAILIS CT Vol 16 Folio 15,  Hd Kuitpo

Hd Kuitpo

From the above:  'Which said section is delineated in the Public Map of the said Hundred deposited in the office of the Surveyor General and was originally granted the seventeenth day of June 1844 under the hand and seal of George Grey Esquire Governor and Resident Commissioner of the said Province to Gottfried LUBASCH.'

 

                               

4.    LUBASCH buys his 3rd & 4th section.        

  • 1849, 1 October section 4222, 81 acres
  • 1851, 12 April section 4230, 15 acres. Hd Onkaparinga.

'....The Office of the Surveyor General and were originally granted as to the said section 3812 on the seventeenth day of June 1844 under the hand and seal of George Grey Esquire Resident Commissioner and Governor of the said Province and to the said sections 4222 on the first day of October 1849 and 4230 on the twelfth day of April 1851 under the hand and seal of Sir Henry Edward Fox Young Lieutenant Governor of the said Province ALL to Gottfried LUBASCH.'

SAILIS Certificate of Title 107/212

 

1867  SAILIS CT Vol 107 Folio 212

1867  SAILIS CT Vol 107 Folio 212
 
Gregorys Street Directory.  Sections 4222 & 4230 fit immediately to the left of the numbers 5242, off Ravenswood Lane.

 

5.    1854 LUBASCH sells 1 acre of the 52 acres of section 3812, 1 Main St, Hahndorf.

by E.A. WITTWER 1979

Hahn's Village by E.A. WITTWER 1979, 1 Main St Hahndorf.  

This first parcel of land, a 1 acre triangular shape is at the apex of Section 3812 & is 1 Main Street, Hahndorf. 

Reference 1:  The historian Alan WITTWER in 'Hahn's Village' 1979 says, 'The original cottage was constructed by Johann Gottlob SCHACH, an early resident of Hahndorf, soon after he purchased an acre of land from Gottfried LUBASCH in 1854.'

 

Authors Note: To date I have not found evidence of this transaction.  Note the central chimney & 8 panes of glass in each window, the shingle roof is absent & evidence of fachwerk construction is not obvious.

 

Hahn's Village by E.A. WITTWER 1979           Photo from 'SCACH Cottage - Hahndorf', Adelaide Hills local wiki.             Photo [painting by M GEPP, 1982] provided by Gwen KUCHEL nee BERGEMEISTER who lived in this cottage.  Gwen's children are 4th cousins to the author.

Reference 2:  The District Council of Mount Barker, Heritage Survey, Part 2: State Heritage Recommendations, 2004, by Heritage Online, Anna POPE & Claire BOOTH, page iii 'Current State Heritage Places: Schach House, Place no: 320, page 50.'

4 photos of 1 Main St Hahndorf, from page 50, D.C. Mt Barker Heritage Survey Part 2, 2004.                     

'Single-storey cottage with loft above.  Walls are half-timbered with pug and brick infill.  Cgi gable & hipped roof with window to gable end.  Features include timber-framed openings with timber door and timber casement windows, raked cgi verandah to front [with infill to north end], scallion-roofed addition with red-brick chimney to rear, and a central red-brick chimney.

Page 51  ​'In 1854, allotment 3 of section 3812 at the northern end of the Main Street was purchased by 'machine maker' Johann Gottlieb SCHACH, who constructed a house soon afterwards.  It was subsequently owned by Frederick KUCHEL and became known as Kuchel's Cottage.  This is one of the oldest surviving buildings on the western side of the Main Street.'

In this survey this building is described as being Lot 3, Section 3812, Hd Kuitpo, CT 5157-174/5.

 

Reference 3:  Mount Barker District Heritage Survey [Stage one] by Hignett & Company, November 1983, Item No 145, page 133.

Survey 1983 coverPage 133 of Hignett & Co Survey November 1983.

'First owner, Johann Gottlob SCHACH, built in 1854, sold later to Mr SASS, then Mr Fred KUCHEL. Half-timbered construction with pug and brick infill now stuccoed over.  Steep pitch part-gabled roof, part-hipped galvanised iron roof with attic windows.  Front has casement windows with convex verandah roof of galvanised iron. 

Authors Note:  While I did find the surname 'SASS' in the SAILIS land records I was unable to find a record purchase for the Hd Kuitpo from 'Historical Name Index Search' dates : 1858-1944.

What I have found for the ownership of this 1 acre is by George BANKS immediately prior to a transfer to G.A. KUCHEL, in 1903.

This 1 acre  land parcel changed hands from J.G. SCHACH on a date unknown [records still to be located] and in 1903 as shown in this Certificate of Title below, it was owned by George BANKS  'the elder of Millbrook, Gentleman'.

 

The following title reveals that BANKS sold this parcel in 1909 to Gottfried Alfred KUCHEL, just before 'Fred', as he was known,  was to marry Rose Therese Irene HENNINGSEN. 

SAILIS Certificate of Title  699/62

SAILIS 1903 CT Vol 699 Folio 62

 

SAILIS 1903 CT Vol 699 Folio 62 SAILIS 1903 CT Vol 699 Folio 62 SAILIS 1903 CT Vol 699 Folio 62

From Certificate of Title 699/62 above:

'Henningsen of Hahndorf' by E.A.WITTWER page 33.

1903, 16 January "George BANKS the elder of Millbrook, Gentleman, is the proprietor of portion of Section 3812, Hd Kuitpo, 1 acre."  

1909, 5 May. 'Transferred from George Banks the elder to Gottfried Alfred KUCHEL labourer of Hahndorf.'    

1967 5 December, 'Gottfried Alfred KUCHEL died'.  

  • Executor of his will was Louise Alfred KUCHEL of 1 Main St, Hahndorf ,Hospital. Handyman.  [5th child of Gottfried KUCHEL]

1968  4 June 'Transferred to Rose Theresa Irene KUCHEL, widow, of 1 Main St, Hahndorf, an estate of freehold for her life, and the 

  • 'within named Louis Alfred KUCHEL of an estate in fee simple in remainder expectant upon the determination of the said  life estate in the within land. 
  • 1975  3 October  'Rose Theresa Irene KUCHEL died'.    
  • 1993.  15 April.  Transferred to 'Louis Alfred KUCHEL & Gwenda Margaret KUCHEL, both of 1 Main St, Hahndorf.'

To see the KUCHEL/HENNINGSEN genealogy in relation to 1 Main St, Hahndorf.

 

6.    LUBASCH dies 1856.  2 acres of 3812 transferred from the 51 acres, 59 Auricht Rd.

LUBASCH is survived by his 2nd wife, his will provides 2 acres & 3 perches of Section 3812, 59 Auricht Rd, Hahndorf to his eldest daughter by 1st marriage.

In 1860 '2 acres of land & the house standing thereon' settled to the eldest daughter Johanna Luise LUBASCH who had been living on this property since arrival in 1855. 

SAILIS 1860 Vol 16 Folio 15, 2 acres 3 perches

 This 2 acres & 3 perches of land is adjacent to the triangle of land still owned, in 1860 [when the title changed], by J.G. SCHACH at 1 Main Street, Hahndorf.  

The details & circumstances of LUBASCH's last will was laid out in a fruitless Supreme Court challenge by his sons in law, who contested the validity of the will in front of a packed court room of German friends, neighbours,  relatives & Lutheran congregation members.  This court case was  covered by ...... newspapers, the details of which begin to lay out the identify of this small piece of land, buildings and its succession through family ownership.

59 Auricht Rd, Hahndorf.The original portion built in 1855 at 59 Auricht Rd was built when this eldest daughter arrived with her husband Gottlieb WIETH, & it is recorded that some assistance was given by Gottlieb LUBASCH.  It was described in the Mt Barker Heritage Survey 2004 as having a 'separate smokehouse & bake oven'. 

To read the evidence of how Johanna Luise LUBASCH became the owner 59 Auricht Rd, Hahndorf. 

To read the heritage surveys, descriptions, family anecdotes regarding 59 Auricht Rd, Hahndorf.

SAILIS 1860 Vol 16 Folio 15, 2 acres 3 perches

SAILIS 1860 Vol 16 Folio 15, 2 acres 3 percheThe South Australian Advertiser [Adelaide, SA:1858-1889] Monday 23 July 1860, page 1, Public Notices.  'Hundred  of Kuitpo-Part Section 3812; Gottlieb and Johana [sic]   Louise WIETH; Residence, Hahndorf.  Date up to and inclusive of which caveat may be lodges against the above-described land, September 12, 1860.'

From Certificate of Title on left:  '9 October 1860: ​Gottlieb WIETH of Hahndorf Farmer and Johanna Louise his wife are now seised in right of the said Johanna Louise the wife of an estate in fee simple subject nevertheless to such encumbrances liens and interests as are notified by memorandum endorsed hereon in that piece of land situated in the Hundred of Kuitpo County of Adelaide being part of the section numbered 3812 in the said Hundred and bounded s appears in the plan in the margin hereof and therein coloured green which said piece of land contains two acres and three perches or thereabouts and is more particularly delineated in the said plan....'

 

Johanne Louise LUBASCH dies May 1899, Certificate of Title transferred to her daughter 'Martha FAEHRMANN'.   

To follow the family connections on CT 16/15 from 1860 when Johanna Luise LUBASCH inherited this land to 1977, when it was sold out of the family, 117 years.

Reg BUTLER  'Byways and Highways' page 30, 1992. 'Paechtown Road [1926 - Faehrmann's Rd.] Paechtown Road leads to one of Hahndorf's best-known farming communities near the town. Settled in early 1950's by the 'Kaysher Paechs', the small group of fachwerk farm houses attracted much attention until a disastrous bushfire destroyed all but one in the early 1980's.  The newly built Freeway of 1974 cut right through Paechtown Road, which used to come out on the Hahndorf's ain street where Auricht Road does now.  Paechtown Road had to be rerouted through several of South Hahndorf's building allotments similarly cut off from the town, to emerge on to Pine Avenue.  Often, people nicknamed Paechtown Road the 'Red Road', because of the district red granite through which part of the road runs out in the countryside.  Never the less, the Echunga Council chose the name of the Wilhelm Faehrmann family with which to call the street in 1926. Carriers and gardeners, three generation os the Faehrmanns lived in a farm house built abasing the street on the left, soon after the main road turn off.  Wilhelm's father, carpenter Carl Faehrmann, had emigrated from Tangermünde, in Prussian Saxony, during 1849; he married Eleanore LIEBELT, one of Hahndorf's foundation settlers.  The name 'Paechtown Road' first appeared in the Mount Barker Council 1864 Assessment Book.'

See Certificate of Titles: 4118/997, 4118/998 & 4119/7 below.

SAILIS 1978 CT Vol 4118 Folio 997 SAILIS 1978 CT Vol 4118 Folio 998 SAILIS 1978 CT Vol 4119 Folio 7

This ends the information trail regarding 59 Auricht Road, Hahndorf.

 

7.Was LUBASCH [& family] living in this house near 'LUBASCH'S barn' when he died?  Yes.

This place was commonly known in Hahndorf as 'the HOFFMANN place' now it is known to be the 'LUBASCH place'.

photo from Mt Barker Heritage Survey 2004

By Lothar BRASSE, February 2024.  Sketch not to scale

The sketch on the right by L. BRASSE heritage architect is of this west facing farm house on section 3812, that I believe was built to accomodate the LUBASCH family when they moved from the Main Street in Hahndorf to their farm in 1849ca.

Along with L. BRASSE I believe it is possibly  older than the 'LUBASCH barn' which is less than 100 meters east of the home.

 

Other buildings, in what was possibly a well organised farmyard belonging to a well to do German ex publican, have yet to be discovered.  See here to unlock the secrets in the ceiling and in the kitchen of this unique and unassuming early German colonial home.

In attempting to prove this theory I have drawn on the information revealed in the Supreme Court challenge launched by LUBASCH's three sons in law in 1857.  It is a lengthy & fascinating read, and I quote extensively from TROVE.

 

Sailis 1881-1884 Maria Elizabeth PAECH

Section 22 Hd Monarto 132448 CCXLV/180  [245/180]

       

Section 3040, 3042 Hd Tungkillo 137360 CCXCV/69  [296/69]

https://sailis.lssa.com.au/products/imageDelivery/DYwaiksLGKAfSCbdchvaPxbzAiqddpdyGTshOVotDzqzTDooMC/full/pdf?products=5078757042

       

Lot 35 Hd Hahndorf, 152887 XLV111/80. [48/80]

   

'To be registered proprietor of mortgage 37769 of Pt Sect 3861, 171656 CXLIV/112'.  [144/112]

   

https://sailis.lssa.com.au/products/imageDelivery/historicalNameIndex/P/1881-1884/PRIVATE/8

See the titles above from this 1881-1884 Sailis record

 

8.    LUBASCH died 1856, his youngest daughter inherited 49 acres, section 3812. by 1882 she was 47 years of age & had sold all the farm.

LUBASCH is survived by his 2nd wife, his will provides the youngest daughter, unmarried, Maria Elizabeth LUBASCH, with this farm, & sections 4222, 4230 Hd Onkaparinga, & his Hahndorf town properties.

1867 Certificate of Title 107/212 says 'Maria Elizabeth LIEBELT of Hahndorf, Widow is now seised of an estate in fee simple .... those Sections of land situated in the County of Adelaide. That is to say First in those Sections No 4222 in the Hundred of Onkaparinga containing eighty one acres ...and 4230 containing 15 acres and Second in that Section No 3812 in the Hundred of Kuitpo containing 52 acres ...Except out of this Certificate of Title a piece of land containing three acres or thereabouts portion of the said section 3812 and coloured green in the said plan....'

SAILIS Certificate of Title 107/212

SAILIS CT Vol 107. Folio 212

SAILIS CT Vol 107. Folio 2121857 from April - September Maria's  3 brothers in law took her to court to contest her father's Will.  

1859 Maria LUBASCH married for the 1st time  to Johann Gottlieb LIEBELT.  

1864 Maria's mother Anna Dorothea GREISER died in October.

1865 Gottlieb WIETH, her 4th brother in law  took her to court, he lost.  

1866 1st husband died aged 29 years, leaving Maria with 3 daughters aged 5, 3 & 3 months of age.

1867 Maria remarried to Johann Wilhelm PAECH a widower, who had 2 small children and they together had another 4 children b1868, 1870, 1872 & 1876.

SAILIS CT Vol 107. Folio 212SAILIS CT Vol 107. Folio 212 'see new CT Vol 208 Folio 232'

It seems from the date on this Certificate of Title, 29 November 1867, that it took 11 years for her to receive the land title related to the inheritance of her parents farm land,  1856-1867.

The drawings on the left show sections 4222 & 4230 Hd Onkaparinga.  Below that is a drawing of section 3812 without the 1 acre section [sold to J.G. SCHACH 1854] & without the 2 acres & 3 perches that went as per the instructions from their father's Will to her eldest sister Johanna Louise LUBASCH and her husband Gottfried WIETH, that land was settled in 1860, [see No 6 above].

1875 Maria Elizabeth LUBASCH [prior to the birth of her last child]  sells the combined 81 acres & 15 acres in the Hd of Onkaparinga.

1875 June 22  'The above named Maria Elizabeth LIEBELT or Marie Elisabeth LIEBELT was married to Johann Wilhelm PAECH of near Mount Barker farmer on the 10 day October 1867 at Hahndorf as appears by the Certificate of Marriage [No56876] produced to me and entered the 22 day June 1875.'

1875 Maria Elizabeth LUBASCH sells Section 4222 & Section 4230 to NITSCHKE's.   November 22. 'Transfer No 56877 from Maria Elizabeth PAECH wife of Johann Wilhelm PAECH to Johann Carl NITSCHKE of the above Sections 4222 and 4230. Produced the 22 day June 1875 at 2pm.  A new Certificate of Title issues for Sect 4222 and 4230 Vol CCV111 [208] Folio 231.'   This new title [208/231 not displayed here] shows that this land was transferred to Johann Gustav Ewald NITSCHKE [b1870] of Little Hampton, farmer on a date that is obscured.  Gustav died 9 February 1928 and the land was transferred in 1933 from Emilie Hulda NITSCHKE  [nee KERBER] [& Richard SCHROEDER to Gustav & Emilie's two sons, Benno Edwin NITSCHKE & Oscar Walter NITSCHKE both of Ambleside, farmers.  To continue to follow this land see 'The new Certificate of Title Vol 2612 Folio 200'. 

Genealogy NITSCHKE:  In 1875  Johann Carl NITSCHKE had been married to Annie Elizabeth SEIDEL since 1853 and they had had 12 of their 14 children. Carl had been on the 'Zebra' as a ten year old while Maria LUBASCH had been only 3 years old. Karl was the son of Maria Elisabeth Marcia SÜSS &  Wilhelm NITSCHKE & they had left the village of Kay [now Kije in Poland] which was less than 10 kms from the village of Rissen [now Rosin in Poland] where the LUBASCH's came from. Johann Gustav Ewald NITSCHKE who received this land on a date unknown was the 10th child of Carl & Elizabeth.  Emilie Hulda NITSCHKE is Johann Gustav Ewald NITSCHKE's wife and from there the land was transferred to two sons born in 1909 & 1912.

1875 Section 3812 is for Maria Elizabeth PAECH's sole & separate use.  June 24. ​'Transfer No 56916 from Maria Elizabeth PAECH wife of Johann Wilhelm PAECH to Maria Elizabeth PAECH wife of Johann Wilhelm PAECH of the above Section 3812 for her sole and separate use produced 24 day June 1875. A new Certificate of Title issued for Sec 3812 Vol CCV111 Folio 232'.  See immediately below the new CT Vol 208 Folio 232.

 

9.    1875 Maria Elizabeth LUBASCH has sole ownership of 49 acres, main portion of section 3812.

SAILIS Certificate of Title 208/232

SAILIS CT Vol 208 Folio 232SAILIS CT Vol 208 Folio 2321875 June 30 All of Section 3812 except for the piece colored yellow belongs to: 'Maria Elizabeth PAECH wife of Johann Wilhelm PAECH of Mount Barker, Farmer is now seised of an estate in fee simple for her separate use subject nevertheless, to such encumbrances, liens, and interests as are  notified by memorial underwritten or endorsed hereon in that Section of land situated in the Hundred of Kuitpo County of Adelaide No 3812 containing fifty two acres or thereabouts and bounded as appears in the plan in the margin EXCEPT not in Certificate of Title a piece of land containing three acres or thereabouts and coloured yellow in the said plan and being all that portion of the said section which lies to the north ......'

3 years later in 1877, Maria LUBASCH [was LIEBELT & now married to PAECH], with 7 children & 2 step children, having sold in 1869 all the Hahndorf town properties [except one, 22 Bernhardt Crescent which was sold in 1885], & the 2 sections in the Hd of Onkaparinga, requires a mortgage on her farm which she receives from her husband's half brother, Johann Gottlob PAECH of Paechtown house number 3.

1877 Mortgaged from Maria LUBASCH to Gottlob PAECH:  'Mortgage No 70393 from Maria Elizabeth PAECH to Gottlob PAECH notified the 10 day January 1877 at 3pm'

  • 4 years later in 1881 Maria LUBASCH with 7 children aged between 21 years - 5 years old, and 2 step children aged around ? 17 & 18 years of age [research incomplete].  
  • Maria now sells her home & farm to her husbands other half brother, Christian PAECH, older brother to Gottlob PAECH.
  • Maria is now 46 years of age & her husband, 37 years of age.

1881 February Maria LUBASCH sells Sect 3812 to J Christian PAECH.   'Transfer No 121673 from Maria Elizabeth PAECH to Johann Christian PAECH of near Hahndorf, Farmer of the above land 12 February 1881'.  

Section 3812 was in the LUBASCH/GREISER family from 1844-1881.

1882 March Discharge of mortgage from Maria LUBASCH to Gottlob PAECH 

  • 'Discharge of the above Mortgage No 70393 by receipt endorsed thereon dated 8 day March 1882, entered 16 day March 1882 at 11am.'

1882   Johann Christian PAECH holds section 3812 for 5 months & sells all 49 acres to Robert GETHING.  

  • 'Transfer from Johann Christian PAECH to Robert GETHING of the within land subject to a right of way produced 9th day August 1882 entered 21 day August 1882 at 3pm.'

  • 'New Certificate of Title Vol 399 Folio 137P.C. PAECH retains the R of W CT 399/137'.   See immediately below Vol [CCCXC1X] 399 Folio 137.

 

10.    1882-1909, 49 acres of section 3812 is held in the GETHING family.

Reg BUTLER 'In an Essentially German Village' page 22, 1986.

'GETHING of Port Adelaide Doctor of Medicine is now .... Hundred of Kuitpo, County of Adelaide portion of the Section 3812, 49 acres.....subject to a free and uninterrupted right of roadway or passage for Johann Christian PAECH of near Hahndorf, Farmer, his heirs executors administrators or assigns through across over and along a strip of land of the width of fifty links as delineated in the said plan and therein marked private road.... 2 September 1882.'              

1883 October 21, Robert GETHING dies

The GETHING residence on section 3812 was known as 'St Julian's', see on left a sketch by Anni LUUR FOX 1986

 

 

 

SAILIS Certificate of Title 399/137

SAILIS CT Vol 399 Folio 137SAILIS CT Vol 399 Folio 1371884 'Jane Trevanion GETHING of Port Adelaide, Widow is seised of an estate in fee simple as the ....executor of the will ....Robert GETHING dated 17 day July 1866 who died on 21 day October 1883 as appears by probate dated 2 November 1883, produced the 1`day 1884 at 11 am'

1907 Jane GETHING transfers to Martha Auguste FAEHRMANN  'From Jane Trevanion GETHING to Martha Auguste FAEHRMANN of portion of the within land Produced for registration 28 day of February 1907 at 3pm.  New Certificate of Title Vol 761 Folio 56.'    

See  No 11, further below to follow the FAEHRMANN ownership CT  Vol 761 Folio 56.

 

SAILIS CT Vol 399 Folio 137SAILIS CT Vol 399 Folio 137

1908  Jane Trevanion GETHING dies.  'Alexander George DOWNER of Adelaide, Solicitor proprietor of an estate..... of the remaining portions of land as executor named in the will dated 28 November 1905... who died 15 March 1908... '

1909 transfer from Jane GETHING to George WEATHERALD. 'Transfer from Alexander George DOWNER to George WEATHERALD [of Hahndorf] of the remaining portion of the within land 21 day of April 1909.  New Certificate of Title Vol 810 Folio 60.'  

See No 13. immediately below to follow the WEATHERALD ownership CT Vol 810 Folio 60

 

 

13.    1909-1929, 46 acres of section 3812 is held in the WEATHERALD family.

SAILIS Certificate of Title 810/60

1909 SAILIS CT Vol 810 Folio 60

1909 SAILIS CT Vol 810 Folio 601909 8 July George WEATHERALD purchases the remaining 46 acres of Section 3812. There were originally 52 acres on this CT. 'George WEATHERALD of Hahndorf Dealer is the proprietor of an estate in fee simple... situated in the Hundred of Kuitpo, County of Adelaide, being Portion of Section 3812, contains 46 acres ... subject nevertheless to such rights of way shave been granted over the Private Road more particularly delineated in the said plan.'

 

'1927 15 December 'The Road adjoining portion of the within land on the south has been closed Vide confirmation of Road Order in Gazette of 15 December 1927.'   Also see CT 1527/188 2 November 1928.

SAILIS Certificate of Title 810/60

 

1929 April 27:,  46 acres of section 3812 transferred to  James Henry & Albert Harold PROSSER builders.

1931  January 29:  46 acres transferred to Henry REHN of Ambleside, farmer. 

1931 January 29:  portion of the within land transferred to Ellen GAVIN. see CT 1590/22 & 1590/23

 

See CT 1590/22 immediately below

also See CT 1590/23 below CT 1590/22

 

 

14.     1931  H. REHN transfers 16 acres to Ellen GAVIN

From immediately above: SAILIS Certificate of Title 1590/22

1931 SAILIS CT Vol 1590 Folio 22

1931 SAILIS CT Vol 1590 Folio 22

1931 April 30, 'Ellen GAVIN of Ambleside, married woman is the proprietor of an estate in fee simple subject nevertheless to such encumbrances ... being portion of section 3812.... sixteen acres...

1933 June 27:  Transfer to Henry FOUNTAIN of Mount Torrens, Apiarist.

1953 August 24: Transfer from Henry FOUNTAIN  to Thomas John & Agnes Sylvia  ADAMS of Hahndorf Farmer.

1961 January 4:  Transfer to Stanley Lewis & Eileen Eleanore HOFFMANN of Oakbank farmers. 

See CT 3770/96  [3 below]  

[1971 purchased by Commissioner of Highways, 1972 transferred to Glenlea Pty Ltd]

See CT 1527/188 [2 below]

 

From No 13 above:  

SAILIS Certificate of Title 1590/23

 


1931 SAILIS CT Vol 1590 Folio 23

 

1931 SAILIS CT Vol 1590 Folio 23 1931 SAILIS CT Vol 1590 Folio 23 1931 SAILIS CT Vol 1590 Folio 23

1931   April 30, Henry REHN of Ambleside, farmer, is the proprietor of an estate in fee simple.....30 acres, portion of section 3812, AND closed road containing two roods and 38 perches [can be seen in the above diagram]

1931   February 17 transfer to John & Jennie Caroline HARDY of Hiltonia Out of Business

1933   June 27 transfer to Henry FOUNTAIN of Mount Torrens, Apiarist.

1953   August 24 transfer to Thomas John & Agnes Sylvia ADAMS, Hahndorf farmers.

1961   January 4 transfer to Stanley Lewis & Eileen Eleanore HOFFMANN of Oakbank farmers.     See CT 1527/188  [Immediately below]

Authors Note:  The last transaction on this CT is a transfer to the HOFFMANN family.  The  home in close proximity to the 'Beerenberg Barn' is currently referred to as the 'HOFFMANN place'.  Mortgage additions indicated HOFFMANN still had this property in 1967.

 

From immediately above:  

Certificate of Title under Road Order 1527/188

1928 SAILIS CT Vol 1527 Folio 188

1928   November 2:  'Pursuant to the Roads Act, 1884, and of an Order of the District Council of Echunga made on 26 September 1917 and in consideration of the sum of ten pounds sterling paid by George WEATHERALD of Ambleside Dealer, to the said District Council George Frederick JENKINS ...... is now seized of an estate in fee simple.... that piece of land containing two roods & 38 perches.... a certain old road closed by above mentioned order in the Hundred of Kuitpo, County of Adelaide, dividing section 425 from section 3812.'

1929   April 27: Transfer to James Henry & Albert PROSSER Adelaide builders, as Tenants in Common.

1931   January 29: Transfer to Henry REHN of Ambleside Farmer,  Certificate of Title 1590/23 [see immediately above]

 

 

From above No 14. CT 1590/22 

Certificate of Title 3770/96

1971 SAILIS CT Vol 3770 Folio 961971   June 4:  'Commissioner of Highways is the proprietor of an estate in fee simple ... that piece of land containing sixteen acres, portion of section 3812'.

1972  April 10:  'Transfer to Glenlea Pty Ltd'.

See CT 3948/71  immediately below.

   1973 SAILIS CT Vol 3948 Folio 71          1973 SAILIS CT Vol 3948 Folio 71      

See  CT 3259/179   &.  CT 3181/81   &.  CT 3770/96   &.  CT 3770/97

Also  see CT 4010/51

 

CT 3259/179 = 1964 August 25, Herman Christian PAECH, Hahndorf farmer owns 34 acres & 1 rood, portion of section 3918, & eighty one acres, 2 roods & 24 perches portion of section 3820 & 89 acres 3 roods & 37 perches of portion of section 4232.  1968 August 8 transferred to Glenlea Pty Ltd. See CT 3948/71 & 3948/73 & 3948/74.

CT 3181/81 = 19634 August 20, Stanley Lewis & Eileen Eleanore HOFFMAN, Hahndorf dairy farmer, owns block 2, 38 acres & 2 roods of the subdivision of section 3912. 1972 April 1 transferred to Glenlea Pty Ltd. See CT Vol 3948/73 & CT 3948/71.   See also CT 3094/140

CT 3770/96 = 1971 June 4, Commissioner of Highways owns 16 acres of portion of section 3812. 1972 April 10 transferred to Glenlea Pty Ltd see CT 3948/72 & CT 3948/71.

CT 3770/97= 1971 June 4, Commissioner of Highways owns 32 acres two roods & 38 perches of portion of section 3812.  1972 April 10 transferred to Glenlea Pty Ltd see CT 3948/73 & CT 3948/71.

CT 4010/51 = 1974 February 15, Commissioner of Highways, portions of section 3812, 2918 & 4232 & protein of section 3912.  See CT 3948/71 & CT 4185/66.

CT 3948/71 = see CT 4010/50 & CT 4010/51.

CT 4185/66 = see CT 4199/265 = see CT 4185/66 = CT 4199/265 Commissioner of Highways transfers in 1983 Allotment 101 of portion of section 3812 to A.D. & E.P. MAHAR.

CT 4010/51 = see CT 4185/66 = see CT 4199/265 see above

 

11.    1907 April 4, 3 acres of section 3812 held by Auguste Martha WIETH, 69 Auricht Rd, Hahndorf.

SAILIS  CT Vol 761/56

1907 3 acres SAILIS Vol 761 Folio 561907 3 acres SAILIS Vol 761 Folio 561907 April 4 Martha FAEHRMANN buys a portion of Section 3812, 3 acres: 'Martha Auguste FAEHRMANN wife of Johann Friedrich Wilhelm FAEHRMANN of Hahndorf, Carrier is seised of an estate....situated in the Hundred of Kuitpo, County of Adelaide, being portion of Section 3812, three acres or thereabouts....'   The measurements of this block of land is 442 x 608 x 442 x 839 and it extends from Auricht Rd to the Hahndorf main road.

17 years later Martha FAEHRMANN transfers a small portion of this land, 69 Auricht Rd to her older brother. 1924 is possibly when the house at this address was built.  Martha was living at 59 Auricht Rd, Hahndorf. 

1924 August 11 'Transfer from Martha Auguste FAEHRMANN to Oswald Edmund WIETH portion of the within land, new Certificate of Title Vol 1344 Folio 171 & balance of Certificate of Title Vol 1344 Folio 172.' 

To see:  WIETH/FAEHRMANN relationship to 69 Auricht Rd


 1924 September 19, 1 rood, 15 perches portion of 3 acres, 69 Auricht Rd, Hahndorf.

SAILIS Certificate of Title 1344/171

1924, 1 rood, 15 perches SAILIS CT Vol 1344 Folio 1711924  19 September Oswald Gottlieb Edmund WIETH, transferred from his sister a tiny portion of Section 3812 'Oswald Edmund WIETH of Ambleside, Bootmaker is the proprietor of an estate in fee simple ....situated in the Hundred of Kuitpo, County of Adelaide being a Portion of Section 3812.... said piece of land contains one rood & fifteen perches'.  The measurements being 200 x 200 x 250 x 125.

Authors Note: 1 rood is 40 perches.  This property is a total of 55 perches. 160 perches in 1 acre = 1/4 acre.

               1930   October 23,  Oswald Gottlieb Edmund WIETH dies. 

1924, 1 rood, 15 perches SAILIS CT 1344 Folio 171

1924, 1 rood, 15 perches SAILIS CT 1344 Folio 171

1931   February 10, 'Transfer to Roy Henry WIETH, Traveller and Herbert  Edmund WIETH labourer both of Ambleside...  as tenants in common'.

1934   June 25,  'Transfer from Herbert Edmund WIETH to Ellen Anis May WIETH wife of the within named Roy Henry WIETH of Ambleside, Traveller of an estate in fee simple of one undivided moiety in the within land'.

1934   September 26,  'Transfer from Roy Henry WIETH and Ellen Anis May WIETH to Gordon William Dedlef FAEHRMANN of Ambleside, plasterer of an estate in fee simple.'

1975.   July 14.  Gordon William Dedlef FAEHRMANN died.

1978   December 22, 'Transfer to Jessie May FAEHRMANN of Paechtown, Hahndorf, New Certificate of Title Vol 4147 Folio 250'.

See immediately below:

 

Transfer from above: 27 August 1979, to Jessie May FAEHRMANN widow, 69 Auricht Rd, Hahndorf, Allotment 4, portion of section 903.  

1979, 69 Auricht Rd, Lot 4 pt section 903, SAILIS CT Vol 4147 Folio 250.SAILIS Certificate of Title 4147/250

Authors Note:  Jessie May FAEHRMANN, nee WALLACE, died in the Royal Adelaide Hospital, her usual residence was 69 Auricht Rd, Hahndorf.  Reference: SAGHS  'Death Registrations' Database.

3 November 1989  'Transfer to Kathleen Jessie TULK an executor in the will of Jessie May FAEHRMANN who died 22.4.1989'.

15.   7 May 1990 'Transfer to Ralph Vincent PALESY & Carole Ann PALESY of 69 Auricht Rd, Hahndorf.'
This small 1/4 acre block of land at 69 Auricht Rd, Hahndorf was in the WIETH/FAEHRMANN family from 1907-1989, 82 years.

 

End of SAILIS information on 69 Auricht Rd, Hahndorf, Certificate of Titles 1344/171 & 4147/250.  

 

 

 1924 Following on from above '1907 April 4, 3 acres of section 3812 held by Auguste Martha WIETH' ,

 

16.    1924 September 19, Martha Auguste WIETH 2 acres, 2 roods, 25 perches portion of section 3812

SAILIS  Certificate of Title 1344/172

1924, 2 acres 2 rood, 25 perches SAILIS CT Vol 1344 Folio 172 1924, 2 acres 2 rood, 25 perches SAILIS CT Vol 1344 Folio 172 1924, 2 acres 2 rood, 25 perches SAILIS CT Vol 1344 Folio 172

1924, 2 acres 2 rood, 25 perches SAILIS CT Vol 1344 Folio 172

1924  September 19.  'Martha Auguste FAEHRMANN wife of Johann Friedrich Wilhelm FAEHRMANN of Ambleside, Carrier, portion of section 3812, 2 acres 2 roods & 25 perches'.

1929  July 11. 'Transfer to Georg Ewald KAESLER of Ambleside, machinist, an executor in the will of Martha Auguste FAEHRMANN who died on 25 November 1927'.

1936  February 14. 'Transfer from Georg Ewald KAESLER to Johann Friedrich Wilhelm FAEHRMANN of Hahndorf, gardener.  

1971  May 25.  'Transfer to Gordon William Dedlef FAEHRMANN of Paechtown Road, Hahndorf, Plasterer and Jessie May FAEHRMANN his wife'.

1973   December 21. ​'Transfer to Gordon Steward PLAIN & Agnes Lillian PLAIN of portion of the within land, see new CT Vol 4147 For 248'.   See No 1 below.

                                                                                       1973  December 21.  'Transfer to Jessie May FAEHRMANN of portion of the within land, see new CT 4147 Fol 250'.   See No 2 below.

                                                                                       1975  July 14.  'Gordon William Dedlef FAEHRMANN died 14 July 1975.'

                                                                                       1977  June 8.  'Transfer to Robert William GREGORY & Hugh Cowel NIELD.'

See new CT Vol 4147 Fol 249: see No 3 below  & CT Vol 4147 Fol 246:  see No 4 below. & CT Vol 4147 Fol 247: see No 5 below

No 4.  1979 Minister of Works, SAILIS CT Vol 4147 Fol 246 No 1. 1979, 10 Auricht Rd, Lot 3 pt section 903 SAILIS CT Vol 4147 Fol 248.        No 3. 1979, Lot 2 pt section 903, SAILIS CT Vol 4147 Fol 249  No 5.  1979 Mt Barker Council SAILIS CT Vol 4147 Fol 246 No 3. 1979, Lot 2 pt section 903, SAILIS CT Vol 4147 Fol 249                                             No 3. 1979, Lot 2 pt section 903, SAILIS CT Vol 4147 Fol 249

 

 

Time-Line of Section 3812 including the fachwerk barn & the house.

 

  • 1839   The LUBASCH/GREISER family were allocated house block, 80 Main Street & land at 14 & 35 Church St, 14 Schubert Drive & 22 Bernhardt Crescent.  LUBASCH never sold this land in his life time. 
  • 1842.   The LUBASCH/GREISER family purchased Section 7044, Hd of Talunga, 77 acres 
  • 1844   Gottlieb LUBASCH made a 'Special Purchase' of  Section 3812, Hd Kuitpo 52 acres
    • 1844-1856  This land was cultivated & farmed by Gottlieb LUBASCH & his family, supporting in 1843, 90 sheep, 13 cattle & various other animals.
  • 1849ca G. LUBASCH, his wife & 2 of his daughters [17 & 15 years of age] moved to section 3812.
    • LUBASCH house has already been built
  • 1849-1855  LUBASCH engaged the newly arrived Carl FAEHRMANN to construct a fachwerk barn on Section 3812.
    • This fachwerk barn has been referred to over the years as 'GETHINGS barn', 'HOFFMANN'S barn', 'PFITZNER's barn' or more recently 'Beerenberg barn' or 'PAECH's barn', depending on who owned the land the barn was situated on at the time. 
  • 1849  The LUBASCH/GREISER family purchased Section 4222, Hd Onkaparinga, 81 acres [SAILIS CT 107/212]
    • 1851. They then purchased the neighbouring Section 4230, Hd Onkaparinga, 15 acres  [SAILIS CT 107/212]  Both of these sections are in the vicinity of Ravenswood Lane, Blakiston. 
  • 1854. LUBASCH/GREISER family sell 1 acre to J.G. SCHACH, 1 Main St, Hahndorf [no documentation found]
    • 1903  1 acre of Section 3812 transferred to George BANKS, 1 Main Street, Hahndorf.
      • 1909   1 acre transferred to Gottfried Alfred KUCHEL. [CT699/62]
      • 1968.   Transferred to his widow Rose Theresa Irene HENNINGSEN.
      • 1993.    Transferred to their 5th child Louise Alfred KUCHEL & wife
  • 1860   2 acres & 3 perches of Section 3812 transferred to Johanna Louise LUBASCH & Gottfried WIETH, 59 Auricht Rd Hahndorf.  [CT 16/15].   No 59 Auricht Road then went to the family members as below & became known as the 'FAEHRMANN' property.
    • 1899   Transferred to Martha Auguste WIETH who married J.F.W.FAEHRMANN
    • 1936   Transferred to unmarried son Johann Friedrich Wilhelm FAEHRMANN 
    • 1971    Transferred to his nephew Gordon William Dedlef FAEHRMANN.
    • 1977   Property sold outside of the family.
    • 1903  1 acre of Section 3812 transferred to George BANKS, 1 Main Street, Hahndorf.
      • 1909   1 acre transferred to Gottfried Alfred KUCHEL. [CT699/62]
      • 1968.   Transferred to his widow Rose Theresa Irene HENNINGSEN.
      • 1993.    Transferred to their 5th child Louise Alfred KUCHEL & wife
  • 1867    49 acres of Section 3812 transferred from Gottlieb LUBASCH [died in 1856]  to his daughter Maria Elizabeth LUBASCH. [CT 107/212]
    • 1877    Maria LUBASCH takes a mortgage from Gottlob PAECH. [CT 208/232]
  • 1881    February, Maria LUBASCH sells, 49 acres of Section 3812 transferred to Johann Christian PAECH, brother of Gottlob PAECH.
  • 1882   August, Johann Christian PAECH sells 49 acres of Section 3812 to Robert GETHING, who dies in 1883.  [CT 399/137]
    • 1907. Widow Jane TOLL sells 3 acres, of Section 3812, 69 Auricht Rd, to Martha Auguste FAEHRMANN   [CT 761/56]
    • 1924 Martha Auguste FAEHRMANN transfers about quarter of an acre of her 3 acres of Section 3812, to her brother Oswald Edmund WIETH  [1 rood & 15 perches], Allotment 4, 69 Auricht Rd, Hahndorf.  [CT 1344/171].  No 69 Auricht Road then went to the family members as below.
        • 1931 Transfer of 69 Auricht Rd to Roy Henry WIETH & Herbert Edmund WIETH [sons of Oswald Gottlieb Edmund WIETH & Marie LEUNIG]
        • 1934 Transfer of 69 Auricht Rd to Gordon William Dedlef FAEHRMANN [1st cousin of Roy Henry & Herbert Edmund WIETH]
        • 1978  Transfer of 69 Auricht Rd to his Gordon's widow Jessie May WALLACE.
        • 1990  Transferred out of the family.
  • 1909   Jane TOLL transfers the remaining 46 acres of Section 3812 to George WEATHERALD.  [CT 810/60]
  • 1929   46 acres transferred to James Henry & Albert Harold PROSSER builders of Adelaide. 
  • 1931   Transferred to Henry REHN farmer of Ambleside.  [CT 1590/22]
  • 1931    Transfers a portion to Ellen  GAVIN    [CT3770/96]
  • 1953.  Transfer from Henry FOUNTAIN to Thomas John ADAMS.
  • 1953   Transferred to TJ ADAMS 
  • 1961    Transferred to Stanley Lewis HOFFMAN.

 

 

This is not staying in this article

My research suggests that between 1850–70, he and his sons built many important buildings in and around Hahndorf. The Beerenberg barn is just one example of many. 

What is particular about Carl Faehrmanns work is the  symmetry (a sense of harmonious and beautiful proportion and balance. Wikipedia.)

 

I believe these buildings are of international importance because they represent the best collection of its genre - not just within Australia but also outside Europe

 

I believe that Carl was one of many carpenters in the Australian context that built these half timbered structures  - but Carls were without doubt the most substantive and artistic.

 

Carls father, Nicolaus Fährmann 1790 -1852 was a Zimmerman but while Tangermünde is indeed blessed with many picturesque and varied half timbered structures but I found no Faehrmann leads or traces of a matching building type.

 

Death of Maria Elizabeth LUBASCH

Maria Elizabeth LUBASCH was first married a couple of years after the court confirmed her father's will in her favour, to Johann Gottfried LIEBELT who died 7 years later in 1866 and then 2nd husband Johann Wilhelm PAECH in 1867. 

Maria died at her 'usual residence in Hahndorf' on 15 April 1890 and the informant to the Registrar in Nairne was Hahndorf teacher Friedrich Wilhelm Julious EY.  Maria was only 54 years of age, had had 7 children & she died of Phthisis, a progressive wasting disease, perhaps caused by tuberculosis. Maria's youngest child was Anna Dorothea PAECH, 18 years of age.