Angell Elementary School is an elementary school in the Ann Arbor Public Schools. It is located at 1608 South UniversityAnn Arbor MI 48103. The building is named after James Burrill Angell, University of Michigan President from 1871-1909, and was constructed in 1923. Gary Court is the school principal.

Angell students continue on to Tappan Middle School or Clague Middle School.

The school mascot is the Eagles.

Timeline: Angell Elementary 

  • 2015 September 29Angell is named as a Blue Ribbon school (Exemplary High Performing School) by U.S. Department of Education, as measured by state assessments or nationally normed tests. From the USDE press release: "U.S. Secretary of Education Arne Duncan today recognized 335 schools as National Blue Ribbon Schools for 2015 based on their overall academic excellence or their progress in closing achievement gaps among student subgroups. National Blue Ribbon Schools demonstrate that all students can achieve to high levels. The Department will honor 285 public and 50 private schools at a recognition ceremony on Nov. 9-10 in Washington, D.C. In its 33-year history, the National Blue Ribbon Schools Program has bestowed this coveted award on some 8,000 schools."
  • 1972 August 16: Ann Arbor Board of Education names Frank L. Tarzia the new principal of Angell at an annual salary of $22,405.  Tarzia was interim principal at Wines Elementary School from April to June 1972.  Tarzia had also taught at Eberwhite and Thurston Elementary Schools, in the public schools in Buffalo, NY, and at the American Dependents School in Germany.  In 1962–63, he served as admissions officer at New York University.  Former Angell principal J. Scott Fleming resigned to take a position in the alumni office at the University of Michigan.  (From Ann Arbor News archives.)  
  • 1969 June 19: Ann Arbor Board of Education appoints University of Michigan assistant professor of education Dr. J. Scott Fleming principal of Angell.   Fleming holds a bachelor's degree from the University of Illinois, a master's from Syracuse University, and a Ph.D. from the University of Michigan.  Fleming had taught at the University for three years.  Prior to that, he had nine years of elementary teaching experience, and had served as assistant principal in Grosee Pointe and principal at schools in Jackson, MI and Lyons, IL.  Fleming replaces Miss Hazel Junquist, who retired after serving as Angell principal for 12 years. (From Ann Arbor News Archives.)
  • 1968:  Enrollment reaches 383 students
  • 1926:  Dorothy Buckley is named principal and serves in that position until 1957.
  • 1922:  Built at a cost of $280,000 the school is first opened in September of 1922, even thought there was work still being down on the building. It's initial enrollment was  250 students. It was both Elementary School and Junior High when opened. It's first principal was Forest Averill. When first opened, the school was known as the South University School and then was renamed in honor of James Angell in 1923.

Phone: 734-994-1907

School website:

PTO website:


Restaurant inspection from Washtenaw County