In 1845, Schuyler Haywood of Barnegat, NJ built a flour mill on the west side of the Saline River. Other settlers soon added a saw mill, blacksmith shop, cooper shop, stores and a windmill factory. For a time, local residents considered platting under the name Barnegat. Eventually, however, the west side of the river became Haywood’s addition to the Village of Saline. This was in 1848.
- SALINE: Capacity crowd gathers to hear Elfring discuss lost village of Barnegat, Saline Reporter, March 21, 2011
A capacity crowd gathered in the Brecon Room of the Saline District Library Sunday afternoon to hear local history enthusiast Douglas Elfring give his presentation, "The Lost and Forgotten Village of Barnegat.'