Chickens (hens) were allowed within Ann Arbor city limits via a "Chicken ordinance" in 2008. While you may not find them roaming the streets A2 City Chickens states as of 10/14/2009 there were 23 permits issued.
Chelsea is considering a chicken ordinance in the summer of 2011.
- Web-footed chicken, June 1937, photo Eck Stanger
- PDF of Permit and Ordinance - A2Gov.org
- A2 City Chickens - Information, Classifieds
- The adventures of being city chicken ranchers - AnnArbor.com Posted: 5:00 p.m. September 14, 2009
- Video Blog - 2009 'Loop de Coop' - AnnArbor.com Posted: 1:58 p.m. October 4, 2009
- Tidbits: A History of Ypsi Chickenry - AnnArbor.com Posted: 9:05 p.m. July 22, 2009
- Something to crow about: Loop de Coop tour highlights Ann Arbor's backyard chickens - AnnArbor.com Posted: 7:29 p.m. October 3, 2009
- CHELSEA: City council, residents continue discussion on possible backyard chicken ordinance, Chelsea Standard, July 18, 2011