Forest Hill Cemetery in Ann Arbor, Michigan is a 65 acre cemetery founded in 1857. Civil engineer James L. Glen designed the cemetery in the rural or garden style popular in the second half of the 19th century. The cemetery's main gate was designed by James Morwich in the Gothic Revival style. Gordon W. Lloyd, a prominent architect from nearby Detroit, Michigan, designed the cemetery's gatehouse and sexton's residence, also in the Gothic Revival style.
In 1859 Dr. Benajah Ticknor was the first person to buried in Forest Hill. Ticknor was a surgeon for the US Navy and was also the owner of what is now Cobblestone Farm in Ann Arbor.
Prior to the establishment of the cemetery, Chi Psi fraternity built the nation's first fraternity building (a hunting lodge) on the site in 1849.
| image by
Forest Hill Cemetery gate house, August 2010|
Notable persons interred at Forest Hills
- James Burrill Angell, longest-serving president of the University of Michigan
- Hiram J. Beakes, mayor of Ann Arbor from 1873 to 1875
- Samuel W. Beakes, former mayor of Ann Arbor and U.S. Congressman
- Junius Beal, University of Michigan regent 1908-1939
- Thomas Cooley, former Michigan Supreme Court chief justice
- Cecil O. Creal, former mayor of Ann Arbor
- Alpheus Felch, former Michigan Governor and U.S. Senator
- William Asa Fletcher, first chief justice of the state of Michigan
- Bradley F. Granger, former U.S. Congressman
- William S. Maynard, former mayor of Ann Arbor
- Edward C. Pierce, mayor of Ann Arbor 1985-87
- Horace Prettyman, football player and boarding-house operator
- Bo Schembechler, former head football coach and athletic director at the University of Michigan
- Bob Ufer, University of Michigan sports broadcaster
- Leslie White, anthropologist
- Fielding Yost, football coach