In October 2014, Mathis began working as editor of AAPS News, a publication of the Ann Arbor Public Schools' communications staff. Prior to that she was a reporter and editor of the Washtenaw County Legal News for three years.
During her years as a journalist, Mathis won several writing awards from the Associated Press and the Michigan Press Association.
Mathis is married to Gary Mathis and lives in Pittsfield Township. The couple has four daughters and seven grandchildren.
- October 2014: Begins work as editor of the AAPS News, a publication of the Ann Arbor Public Schools' communications staff.
- 2011-2014: Works as reporter for the Detroit Legal News and then as editor of Washtenaw County Legal News.
- 2009-2012: Works as a freelance reporter, columnist and public relations writer. Is published in The Ann Arbor Chronicle, The Ann Arbor Observer, The Ann and several other local publications.
- 1994-2009: Works as reporter & columnist for the Ann Arbor News, until the owners closed that publication in mid-2009.
- DATE?-1994: Works as a reporter, columnist & features editor for the Ypsilanti Press, until that newspaper closed on June 28, 1994, after 90 years in business. Its assets were bought by the Ann Arbor News.
- DATE? Earns bachelor's degree in journalism from Southern Illinois University (Carbondale).
In the News
AAPS Hires Long Time Ann Arbor Journalist for AAPS News – AAPS News, October 2014
Former Ann Arbor News columnist joins Legal News – Washtenaw County Legal News, April 7, 2011
This one comes to you with no tears attached – Ann Arbor News, July 22, 2009
Jo Mathis stories in the Google News archives