The orchestra was founded in fall of 2000 by a small group of musicians and artists at the University of Michigan Medical School and University of Michigan Health System. The concept was to provide a performance outlet for the many faculty, staff, students, alumni and volunteers in life science disciplines at the university who had previous musical training but few opportunities to play. It is envisioned that the LSO will offer musicians in the life sciences an opportunity to play in a large ensemble, while building a sense of community across the different components of the life sciences on the University of Michigan campus.
- Life Sciences Orchestra stories on AnnArbor.com
- Life Sciences Orchestra stories on Ann Arbor Chronicle
- Life Sciences Orchestra stories on Ann Arbor Observer
- Life Sciences Orchestra stories in Heritage Media newspapers
- Life Sciences Orchestra stories in the Google News archives