The Museum on Main Street, located at 500 N Main St, in Ann Arbor, is a local history museum run by the Washtenaw County Historical Society.
Web site: http://washtenawhistory.org
The museum hosts three or four rotating exhibits each year, drawn from collections around the area. Past exhibits include
- Murder, Mayhem & Mischief Come to Town (crime in the 19c)
- Coming to Washtenaw County - 1820 to Present (with the Genealogical Society of Washtenaw County
- Trains in Toyland (with the Ann Arbor Model Railroad Club)
- The Ann Arbor YMCA from 1858 to 2008
- Wedding Customs in Washtenaw County
- The Kitchen 1830 to 1950
- Holiday Memories (with Museum Studies PhD student Susan Frekko)
- 150 Years of the Washtenaw County Historical Society
- One-Room School Houses of Washtenaw County
- Christmas Decorations 1900-1960
- 100 Years of the Psychiatry at the University of Michigan
- The Sewing Arts
See Kellogg-Warden House.
The museum building was originally located at 1015 Wall Street in Lower Town and was built between 1835 and 1839 in the Federal style by three brothers of the Kellogg family and their father.
It was moved to the current site in 1989.
The Museum on Main Street (MoMS) was originally a private house at 1015 Wall Street. It was built in sections, the first being a one-room house that is now the central rear section. Three Kellogg brothers from upstate New York built it in 1835 and the major portion of the house was constructed in 1839 when their father joined them. Because of its early date of construction, the house represents an older architectural style, that is quite rare in Michigan. It is basically a Federal-style house, with the long end parallel to the street rather than perpendicular to it. The large front doorway is especially handsome and reflects a building tradition brought to Michigan from New York State.
The building that now houses the Washtenaw County Historical Society's Museum on Main Street (MOMs) was once a private residence on Wall Street, in the section of Ann Arbor across the Huron River known as "Lower Town." It is a rare survivor of the first decades of life in Ann Arbor.
"one of Ann Arbor's hidden gems"