A community organization that promotes co-op organic gardening. Project Grow lends plots in their gardens for a small fee. They also publish a helpful newsletter four times a year.
Gardens opened late April / early May. Water turned on mid-May. Last frost: May 20 (there was one a day or two afterwards!).
The Project Grow website lists 11 gardens for 2009:
- Airport - located on property within the Ann Arbor Airport.
- Buhr - Located at Packard Road near Eisenhower
- Greenview - located at Greenview Park, Greenview Road.
- Matthaei Botanical Gardens - Located at University of Michigan's Botanical Gardens off of Dixboro Road
- Clague - located at Clague Middle School, Bluett Road
- Mitchell - located at Mitchell Elementary School, Fernwood Road
- University Reformed Church - no longer part of Project Grow
- Lakewood - located at Lakewood Elementary School, Gralake Road.
- County Farm Park - located at the County Farm county park, Platt Road.
- Catholic Social Services - located at Catholic Social Services, Packard and Golfside Road.
- Hillside Terrace - Located at Hillside Terrace Retirement Residence on Jackson Road
- Food Gatherers - Located at Food Gatherers on Carrot Way off of Dhu Varren
Project Grow Community Gardens provide the space, education, and inspiration to make organic gardening accessible to all.
In the news
- Project Grow Board Expands: At annual meeting, group also discusses proposal from Matthaei, Ann Arbor Chronicle, October 2008
At the Project Grow annual meeting of membership, held Thursday evening at the Nature House at Leslie Science Center, news of a possible organizational arrangement with Matthaei Botanical Gardens led to an impromptu expansion of the board of directors to include two additional members. In addition to Catherine Riseng and Dustin Underwood, who were already on the slate for election, Royer Held and Kirk Jones were elected to the board. Project Grow’s mission is to make organic gardening accessible through the community and it does so most visibly through garden plots available at 14 different sites located throughout the city.