When it closed, it was replaced by La Seine, a fancy French restaurant.
- Sugar Bowl Restaurant, 109 South Main Street, 1927, Ann Arbor District Library
When the Sugar Bowl opened in 1911, it featured homemade ice cream and handdipped chocolates made in the Preketes family apartment upstairs. After Michigan went "dry" in 1918, lunch counters and small restaurants like this, many owned by Greek immigrants, became a major feature downtown.
- Sugar Bowl advertisement
- Ann Arbor in the 20th Century: A Photographic History, Grace Shackman, p.15
- Polk's Ann Arbor, Ypsilanti and Washtenaw County Directory 1917
- Retired Restaurateur Paul Preketes Dies, Ann Arbor News, April 16, 1975; from the Old News archives.
- Prekete's Brothers Sugar Bowl, postcard from 1950s; from the Bentley Image Bank, BL005323