Anthony A. "Tony" Derezinski (b. 1942) is an attorney and former member of the Ann Arbor City Council. His is a Democrat who represented Ward 2 from 2008 to 2012.
In 2014 he ran unsuccessfully for a seat on the Washtenaw Community College board of trustees in an eight-way nonpartisan, countywide race for three open seats. He finished 7th with 14,941 votes (8.66%).
In the 1970s, Derezinski served one term as a state senator representing the Muskegon area, and was on the Eastern Michigan University Board of Regents – an appointed position – from 1984-1996. He served as a lobbyist for the Michigan Association of School Boards.
He has served on the boards for a variety of local nonprofits, including the Michigan Theater Foundation and Honey Creek School. As of 2014, he serves on the board for the Main Street Area Association and Arbor Hospice, and is vice-chair for the Michigan Law Revision Commission.
In his capacity as a city councilmember from 2008-2012, Derezinski served on several city boards and commissions, including the planning commission, public art commission, Washtenaw Area Transportation Study (WATS), and the Ann Arbor housing commission.
Derezinski is a Vietnam War veteran. He is married to Catherine "Katy" Derezinski. The couple lives in the Ann Arbor Hills neighborhood. They have an adult son, Justin Lahart, from Katy Derezinski's previous marriage.
Timeline: Tony Derezinski
- Nov. 4, 2014: Finishes 7th in an eight-way countywide race for three seats on the Washtenaw Community College board of trustees. He gets 14,941 votes (8.66%).
- Aug. 7, 2012: Loses Democratic primary for Ward 2 city council to Sally Hart Petersen. Petersen gets 1,161 votes (55.23%) compared to 938 votes (44.62%) for Derezinski.
- Nov. 2, 2010: Wins general election against Libertarian challenger Emily Hopp Salvette for a second two-year term on city council, representing Ward 2. Derezinski gets 4,813 votes (78.53%) compared to 1,284 votes (20.95%) for Salvette.
- August 2010: Is unopposed in the Democratic primary election for a second term on the city council.
- Nov. 4, 2008: Is unopposed in the general election and wins the Ward 2 council seat with 8,267 votes (98.8%).
- Aug. 5, 2008: Wins Democratic primary for Ward 2 city council against Stewart Nelson.
- January 1984-December 1996: Serves as a regent for Eastern Michigan University, an appointed position.
- 1975-1978: Serves as a Michigan state senator representing the Muskegon area.
- 1968-1971: Serves as a Lieutenant in the Judge Advocate General's Corps in the United States Navy and as a military judge in the Republic of Vietnam.
- DATE? Earns master of laws degree from Harvard Law School.
- DATE? Earns JD from University of Michigan Law School.
- DATE? Graduates from Marquette University.
In the news
Current student and former teacher among those elected to WCC board, as current trustee unseated – MLive, Nov. 5, 2014
WCC Election: Tensions are heating up the race for seats on the school's board of trustees – Ann Arbor Observer, October 2014
Washtenaw Community College board candidates address variety of issues at forums – MLive, Oct. 17, 2014
Eight candidates eye trustee seats – Washtenaw Voice, August 2014
Aging in A2: The good, the bad and the inevitable – The Ann Magazine, March 22, 2014
2012 Ann Arbor Council Primary Roundup – Ann Arbor Chronicle, Aug. 8, 2012
Petersen beats Derezinski in 2nd Ward race for Ann Arbor City Council – AnnArbor.com, Aug. 7, 2012
2nd Ward candidates Petersen and Derezinski debate the issues one last time before Tuesday's primary – AnnArbor.com, Aug. 1, 2012
End of the Party? High Stakes in the Aug. 7 Primary – Ann Arbor Observer, August 2012
City Council Campaign Finance Crosses Wards – Ann Arbor Chronicle, July 28, 2012
Ann Arbor Council Ward 2: Sally or Tony? – Ann Arbor Chronicle, July 18, 2012
Derezinski vs. Petersen: 2nd Ward race for Ann Arbor City Council shaping up – AnnArbor.com, May 9, 2012
Debbie Dingell & Anthony Derezinski @ FestiFools, Ann Arbor – CriticCar Detroit, April 6, 2014
From the Daily: Vote Hohnke, Derezinski – Michigan Daily, Oct. 28, 2010
In the 10 Spot: Tony Derezinski – A2 Journal, May 24, 2010
From the Daily: Vote Hieftje, Smith, Derezinski, Kunselman, Hohnke – Michigan Daily, Aug. 4, 2008
Ward 2 candidates agree on need for transparency, disagree on everything else – Michigan Daily, Aug. 3, 2008
Editorial: Smith, Derezinski are best council choices – Ann Arbor News, July 24, 2008
- Tony Derezinski for A2 Council campaign web site
Contributing to this Page
For some existing timeline elements more precise dates would be desirable. Update strategy: Add timeline elements and news links as history unfolds.