Services available at City Hall
- Meeting Room: Board and Commission meetings
- First Floor:
- Building Department: building permits and code/ordinance enforcement
- Finance and Accounting
- City Manager's Office
- Human Resources
- Planning and Development: zoning, site plans, redevelopment
Old City Halls
The current city hall had a facade known as the "cheesegrater".
In 1912, City Hall moved to the Quirk House, at 304 N. Huron Street, built for Daniel Quirk, founder of the Peninsular Paper Company in the 1860s, and donated to the City by his son. More information on this building can be found at: http://www.ypsilanti.org/downtown2.htm
The current City Hall building was constructed in 1877 by the Ypsilanti Savings Bank. The building was renovated in the mid-20th century, in what many consider to be an act of architectural vandalism - the peaked and turreted roof was torn off, and a metal facade attached, which has become unfondly known as "the cheese grater". In 1976, the Bank moved to the newly constructed 301 W. Michigan Avenue, now the Key Bank Building, and the City purchased 1 S. Huron. In 1999, the cheese grater was removed and $1.5M in facade renovations were done as part of a program of downtown architectural rehabilitation.
The Fall 2005 issue of the Ypsilanti Historical Society's publication "Gleanings" includes further information on the current City Hall building, including pictures of various incarnations: http://www.ypsilantihistoricalsociety.org/publications/fall2005.pdf