An informal, unincorporated settlement located along the bay shore, immediately north and south of the mouth of Strawberry Creek. 
This community came into being in 1854 when Captain James Jacobs built a small wharf in the waterfront, called Jacob's Landings, and became the hub of commerce for the new community. It developed to become what is now West Berkeley.
The Ocean View School was established in 1856 on San Pablo Road. By 1860, the census counted 69 residents.
Pioneer Starch and Grist Mill was founded in 1855 by John Everding and A.A. Rammelsburg. It was Ocean View's first manufacturing plant. The structure was demolished in 1950's by the Truitt and White Lumber Company.
Standard Soap Company moved from San Francisco in the early 1870s by Captain R.P. Thomas. This company provided jobs for working-class Berkeley residents for many years.
 Wollenberg, C. (2008). Berkeley: A city in history. Berkeley: University of California Press.