Data from lots of different agencies and jurisdictions affect the people of Chattanooga. There is some great work being done, for example the Open Data Portal, to publish more open data. In the mean time, where is a rough catalog of some of the currently available data sources, gathered in one place for the first time. Please add to this.
Of course (and unfortunately), there are many data sets which are still not available on the Open Data Wish List.
- Bike Chattanooga bike share system
CARTA bus and electric shuttle
- No official API, but their bus location map and arrival times service has easy-to-figure-out XML rest endpoints. Open up your browser dev tools and poke around http://bustracker.gocarta.org/bustime/home.jsp for some inspiration
- Chattanooga Police Department weekly incident reports http://www.chattanooga.gov/police-department/weekly-incidents-reports in a weird combo of Excel and PDF formats, and not archived - grab them while you can. It might be a good idea for someone to set up a scraper and archive, or better yet, go talk to someone from CPD and get all of the historical data and arrange for it to be made available going forward.
Building & Property Code Inspection
- Chattanooga Code Enforcement court case code violations http://www.chattanooga.gov/images/citymedia/neighborhoodserv/Court%20Case%20Log/Court_Case_Log_2014.xls Excel format, updated sporadically at the same URL. Poorly (manually) coded, would require some additional cleanup to build on top of it programmatically
- Condemned properties http://www.chattanooga.gov/images/citymedia/neighborhoodserv/Condemned/CondemnedReport.xls in Excel format, updated sporadically at same URL. No indication of whether all properties on this list are still condemned or if they have been brought up to code or demolished.
- Permit / License / General info database http://citizenaccess.chattanooga.gov/CitizenAccess/default.aspx (bulk and API access not readily available, but here's proof that the underlying data is there, somewhere)
- Neighborhood association map KML https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&oe=UTF8&authuser=0&msa=0&output=kml&msid=209223705020199143505.000489dcb536897720ffb
- Neighborhood association contact directory http://www.chattanooga.gov/images/citymedia/neighborhoodserv/NARegistry.xls (Excel) updated about monthly
- Agendas, minutes, city code, and other files (mostly in PDF format) http://www.chattanooga.gov/city-council-files/