Lakewood is a suburb on the west border of Cleveland and is the most densely populated city in Ohio. The population was 52,131 at the 2010 United States Census, making it the third largest city in Cuyahoga County, behind Cleveland (396,815) and Parma (81,601). Though no official count has been done, it is also assumed to have the highest concentration of bars in Ohio as well. It is also the headquarters of Malley's Chocolates, a Cleveland favorite.
2010 US Census
As of the census of 2010, there were 52,131 people, 25,274 households, and 11,207 families residing in the city. The population density was 9,426.9 inhabitants per square mile (3,639.7/km2). There were 28,498 housing units at an average density of 5,153.3 per square mile (1,989.7/km2). The racial makeup of the city was 87.5% White, 6.4% African American, 0.3% Native American, 1.9% Asian, 1.3% from other races, and 2.7% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 4.1% of the population.
There were 25,274 households of which 22.5% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 29.7% were married couples living together, 10.8% had a female householder with no husband present, 3.8% had a male householder with no wife present, and 55.7% were non-families. 44.8% of all households were made up of individuals and 9.8% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.05 and the average family size was 2.99.
The median age in the city was 35.4 years. 19.6% of residents were under the age of 18; 9.6% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 34.3% were from 25 to 44; 25.7% were from 45 to 64; and 11% were 65 years of age or older. The gender makeup of the city was 49.1% male and 50.9% female.
Lakewood's park system is one of the best in the area. Lakewood Park has some of the best views of the Cleveland skyline and the Rocky River Reservation feels
- Cove Park
- Edwards Park
- Kauffman Park
- Lakewood Dog Park
- Lakewood Park
- Madison Park
- Merl Park
- Rocky River Reservation
- Wagar Park
- Webb Park
- Lakewood High School - One of the largest high schools in the state of Ohio, is highly diverse with over 2000 students attending.
Harding Middle School - A new building replaced the original facility in 2007.
Garfield Middle School - A new middle school building that was formerly an elementary school, re-opened in 2007. Efforts were made to retain the original facade of the school, which was constructed in the late 1800s.
- Grant Elementary, 1470 Victoria Avenue, Lakewood, Ohio
- Emerson Elementary, 13439 Clifton Blvd., Lakewood, Ohio
- Harrison Elementary, 2080 Quail Street, Lakewood, Ohio
- Hayes Elementary, 16401 Delaware Avenue, Lakewood, Ohio
- Lincoln Elementary, 15615 Clifton Boulevard, Lakewood, Ohio 44107.
- Horace Mann Elementary, 1215 West Clifton Blvd., Lakewood, Ohio
- Roosevelt Elementary, 14327 Athens Avenue, Lakewood, Ohio
- St. Edward High School - Private Roman Catholic High School for boys.
- Lakewood Catholic Academy - a private Catholic K-8 school.
- Lakewood Lutheran School - k-8 integrated elementary education.
- Padre Pio Academy - a K-8 elementary school founded by lay Catholics.