610 West University Avenue Champaign, IL 61820
(217) 351-3911
Central High School

Central High School serves grades 9 through 12 as part of Champaign Unit 4 Schools and is home to the Max Maroon the school mascot.  The Central building site was originally home to West Side High School, which was opened 1870.  The building burned down in 1883 and the high school moved to Randolph and Hill Streets. From 1914 to 1956, Champaign High School was located in the building that is now Edison Middle School (corner of State and Green). In 1956 the high school moved back to its original location, into a renovation of the junior high school that had been built on the site in 1934. In the 1960s, overcrowding led to the development of the district's second high school, Champaign Centennial High School.