The CCFPD is a government agency that maintains five forest preserves in Champaign county. For more information, visit the website or choose a preserve below:
- Homer Lake Forest Preserve - 30 minutes' drive southeast of CU; 814 acres of woodland and prairie, lake and river, 10 miles of trails, interpretive nature center
- Lake of the Woods Forest Preserve - 30 minutes' drive northwest of CU; 900 acres of woodland and prairie, lake, river, 7 miles of trails, museum, botanical garden, golf course, boat rentals (summer)
- Middle Fork River Forest Preserve - 45 minutes' drive northeast of CU; 1702 acres of woods & prairie with river and ponds; fishing, camping, 7 miles of trails for hiking or cross-country skiing, picnic areas/shelters, waterfowl management area
- River Bend Forest Preserve - 30 minutes' drive northwest of CU; 280 acres, mostly centered around two lakes, one of which is largest in Champaign County. Fishing, two short nature trails.
- Sangamon River Forest Preserve - 30 minutes northwest of CU; 160 acres, short nature trails, fishing