Types of Child Care
There are a number of options for child care in Davis:
- Traditional daycare and preschool centers*
- Licensed Daycare providers who operate from their own homes
- Nannies/babysitters who operate from your home
- The UC Davis Center for Child & Family Study (CCFS)
Hutchison Child Development Center on campus.
Note: Preschools provide an educational environment for part of the day to children usually around 3-6 years old; daycare providers offer care for part or all of the day to children with ages spanning three months old to six years old.
Child Care Businesses
Birdsong Play Garden
Art Farm Nature School
- Happy Feet Preschool & Daycare (bilingual)
- Galyna's Child Care
- Art Farm Nature School
- Davis Babies
- Double Decker Day School
- Kidaroo Playcare
- Kindergruppe Waldwichtel - German immersion program
- Lily's Day Care
- Linda's Child Care
- Little Stars Day Care
- Magikal Child Preschool
- Make New Friends
- Sprouts Day School
- Tender Learning Care
- Child Care Services Resource & Referral (link?) - Yolo County child care referral service (link goes to City of Davis Web information page). This organization provides a free customized list of providers with openings who fit your criteria for age, type of care needed, and language spoken. The list is sent in a packet with lots of other useful information. Covers traditional day care centers and day care providers who operate from their own homes; their information is updated frequently. They also offer information on how to check the licenses and complaint files of child care providers.
- The Wiki's Schools page lists the established preschool and daycare centers in town.
- Student Job listing service Post a classified for a UC Davis student nanny/babysitter. Obtaining login ID generally takes one business day.
- Center for Child & Family Study Services provided with a research mission.
- Parents Together (link?) - Hosted by the City of Davis, Parents Together is a popular way for new parents to meet each other and share information. Must have a child 12 months or under to participate.
- Mom's Circle (WayBack machine copy) was an anonymously hosted Web site that provides information for Davis parents. It's a comprehensive resource, including everything from information on doulas to prenatal massage, but it's difficult to tell how often it's updated. Also provides a login-based Yahoo discussion group that appears to have some activity and a deserted classified service (try Craigslist.org instead).
- Baby classifieds on Craigslist, which covers the greater Sacramento area, including Davis.
- It was only a few years ago that UC Davis began providing on-campus childcare, making it the last of the UCs to implement this program.