|Councilmember, Davis City Council|
|23 Russell Blvd.|
|Davis, CA 95616|
Stephen Souza was a member of the Davis City Council (2004-3-30 to 2012-6-3) and always seemed excited to be there. You can recognize him by his curly hair and mustache. Souza was elected in 2004 and subsequently re-elected in June 2008. On November 5, 2011, Souza announced his candidacy for the 2012 City Council Election, in which he was defeated.
Souza ran unsuccessfully in the 1988 and 1996 City Council elections.
Stephen Souza - Biography
- Lifelong resident California, age 53
- Married to Robin, 27 years
- Davis resident since 1979
- BA in Government with minors in Biology and Chemistry, CSUS
- Small business owner since 1975, Ultra Clean Pool Service
- Davis City Councilmember, 2004 to 2012, after being defeated in run for third term in June, 2012 election.
- Yolo County LAFCO City Member, 2006 to present
- Yolo Natural Heritage Program Vice Chair, 2004 to present
- Recreation and Park Commission former Chair, 1996-2004
- Finance and Budget Commission, 1999-2004
- Yolo County Economic Development Council, 2003-2004
- Street Tree Commission, 1988-1989
- Human Relations Commission former Chair, 1989-1996
Volunteer Memberships and Activities
- DCTV, Board of Directors and former Chair, 1991 - 2002
- Quail Ridge Wilderness Conservancy, Board of Directors and Chair, 1991-1998
- Davis Democratic Club, President, 1997-2004
- Yolo County Democratic Central Committee member, 1999-2006
- Yes on Measure D campaign organizer, 2002
- Yes on Measure G campaign organizer, 2006
- Yolo for SMUD-Davis campaign treasurer, 2006
Peace and Human Rights Activities
- Participant in 1200 mile "Marcha Por La Paz" in Central America, 1985
- Leader and participant in 3200 mile "Great Peace March for Global Nuclear Disarmament" across the United States, 1986
- Organizer of 1987 Martin Luther King march, Davis
- Amnesty International, Regional Coordinator, 1991-1997
Personal Interests and Activities
- Sports "fanatic"
- Politics: global and local, helping numerous local campaigns
- Gardening, fish ponds
- Computers, electronics
- Boating, water skiing, camping, exploring
Positions on Controversial Issues
- Measure J debate: Souza has said he supports renewing Measure J in its current form.
StevenDaubert notes that recently Souza abstained from a vote during a city council meeting that fixed an attempt to skirt measure J when it came to development just outside of town... Ruth Firmly opposed, Greenwald and Hestek for, and Souza and Saylor Abstaining... Election season move anyone?
This was a vote on my request for Council's reconsideration of a prior reccomendation to LAFCO on the City of Davis Sphere of Influence (SOI), not a vote on Measure J. As a Commissioner of LAFCO I will at the next LAFCO meeting have a vote to determine the City of Davis SOI.— StephenSouza
- Halema Buzayan case: An opinion column in the Davis Enterprise said he felt that the case had been handled appropriately.
Stephen endorsed Barack Obama for the February 2008 Primary Election
- 2008 Davis Professional Firefighters Association
- 2008 Davis Police Officers' Association
- 2008 The Davis Enterprise
- 2008 Sacramento Central Labor Council
- 2008 Sacramento Metro Chamber of Commerce
- 2008 The California Aggie
2006-03-26 21:02:59 Stephen, it is great to see you using the wiki. Your knowledge of the town and its governing bodies will certainly help this online community. I know as a member of the ASUCD Senate I was able to shed some insight to many pages. I hope you do the same with your knowledge as a councilmember. —RobRoy
2006-03-27 19:05:42 Mr. Souza - What is your opinion on the Halema Buzayan case? Would you be interested in appearing on KDRT to talk about it? —KenjiYamada
2008-03-09 12:44:22 Hello! —StevenDaubert
You must be logged in to comment on this page. Please log in.