Wayne County Sheriff Benny Napoelon has held the position since 2009. He was 56 in 2012.
Napoleon was an unsuccessful candidate for mayor of Detroit in the 2013 Detroit Mayoral Election.
Napoleon has held or run for a number of public offices in Detroit, including:
- Police Chief for Dennis Archer, 1998-2001
- Candidate for Deputy Mayor in the campaign of Sharon McPhail, 2005
- Wayne County Assistant Executive, 2004 - July 2009
- Wayne County Sheriff, July 2009 - Present (re-elected 2012)
- Wayne County Sheriff Benny Napoleon to explore mayoral bid with Detroit listening tours
- Wayne County Sheriff Benny Napoleon doesn't expect race to be a factor in Detroit mayoral election
"Palmer Woods is not Detroit". January 1, 2013
Benny Napoleon Explains Comments about Palmer Park. January 4, 2013