Photo from 2003-2004Architectural Survey Cards, Histories, House Highlights

247 Morris Avenue SE is located in Heritage Hill. It was built in 1893. It's architectural significance is WORTHY OF MENTION. Past owners include Jones, Minnie, Thum, Otto, Warnock, Wendall.


Thum House - 1979 Tour


Home Tour write-up: This Craftsmanstyle house was begun circa 1893 by Minnie Johnson, who purchased the land in 1889 from the daughter of Robert W. Morris, for whom the street is named. In 1898, Otto Thum purchased the uncompleted house from Miss Jones and finished the interior. Included in the sale price were such things as the window shades. Mr. Thum was one of the founders of the O&W Thum Company, better known as the Tanglefoot Company, makes of the "sticky fly paper". This house is one of the finest in Heritage Hill to be converted intoapartments. In 1942 it was changed from a single family dwelling into two townhouse apartments. Today you will tour the apartment on the north side of house, which is the residence of Mr. And Mrs. W.S. Warnock. The Warnocks first rented their apartment in 1945 and purchased the house in 1947. The fa�ade of this house is dominated by a massive gamboled gable which is highlighted by a sunburst design over the third story window. The legendary dragon has been incorporated as a part of the design of the largebracket which supports the porch roof. The Venetian columns on the porch have graceful reciprocal spirals which are a mark of excellence in craftsmanship. The granite stonework around the porch and foundations was often used to accent this style and imparts a sense of solidarity.

Geographic coordinates are 42.958517°N, 85.658°WLatitude: 42°57′30.661″N
Longitude: 85°39′28.8″W

External Links

Original data from Heritage Hill Associaton