The Huron Mountain Club is a private club whose land holdings in Marquette County constitute one of the largest tracts of primeval forest in the Great Lakes region. Formed circa 1890, the club consists of 50 dwellings clustered inside about 13,000 acres of private land, encompassing the Huron Mountains area. The club was founded to establish a remote hunting and fishing club for outdoor enthusiasts. The original charter limited membership to 50 partners. The property encompasses several lakes and approximately 10,000 acres of old-growth forest.
Through its long association with the non-profit Huron Mountain Wildlife Foundation, the Huron Mountain Club has been the site of a wide range of research in field biology and geology. Naturalist Aldo Leopold produced a plan for preserving the tract in 1938. The research facility at Ives Lake was started in the 1960s, after that lake passed from Longyear family hands into Club ownership.
Wikipedia: Huron Mountain Club
The Huron Mountains in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula, Moon Travel Guides, August 1, 2011