West Baraga Avenue runs from South Front Street in Marquette to just past South McClellan Avenue.
There is a one block long East Baraga Avenue.
Baraga Ave was not always known as Baraga Ave. The original name for the street was Superior Street and it was at one time the center of business in Marquette. It was renamed in honor of Bishop Baraga.
The first lumber mill on Marquette was built by Amos Harlow at the foot of what is now known as East Baraga Avenue.
This is the corner of Baraga and Front from the early 1900's, probably around 1912-13.
Picture from the collection of Wayne Mahowald
In the news
- Envisioning a new avenue: Future of city street focus of multifaceted initiative, March 29, 2014, The Mining Journal
The Marquette Downtown Development Authority is the recipient of a MIplace Initiative Grant for redesign assistance for Baraga Avenue from Third Street to the lakefront. To kick off public discussion about the project, stakeholders met Thursday at the Commons for a visioning session to discuss plans for that redesign.
South Front Street intersects.
- 109 formerly Marquette Food Co-Op
- 117 Marquette Baking Company bakery
- 119 Dead River Coffee
- 123 Upper Peninsula Children's Museum
- 136 College Laundry and Rentals
- 149 Long Shot Saloon
South Third Street intersects.
- 236 Marquette County Jail
South Fourth Street intersects.
- 300 City of Marquette
- 300 Marquette City Hall
- 311 St. Peter Cathedral
- 904 Premeau Construction
- 914 Lake Superior Hospice
- 1001 U.P. Catholic Credit Union
- 1009 Salvation Army