CC SA-BY Our Oakland

Allendale (sometimes Allendale Park) is a neighborhood between Fruitvale and Maxwell Park, roughly between Foothill and MacArthur. The Allendale Tract was established pursuant to a tract map recorded in 1891 and was initially settled in 1895, and was annexed to Oakland in 1909. It was named for real estate developer Charles E. Allen. 2 The original tract was smaller than the current neighborhood, which includes the Allendale Park tract and other nearby tracts.

In 1903, Fruitvale voters were presented with a bond to build a school in the "Allendale tract". 4

By 1906 Allendale had a Methodist church (anyone know which?), a bakery, butcher, hardware store, community hall and saloon on Allendale Ave.

By 1910 there was an "Allendale Improvement Club" of 250 members working to improve the district. In 1927 the art deco Allendale Theater ;was built at what is now 3116 Liese Ave. The theatre closed in 1941 and now houses the Theater Apartments. 1

historic sign CC SA-BY Our Oaklandc.1900 ad 3detail of 1905 map

Map of the Allendale Tract, filed April 18, 1892, Map Book 13, Page 37, Alameda County Records Map of the Allendale Annex, filed March 10, 1898, Map Book 15, Page 80 

Pages tagged “Allendale”

Links and References

  1. Oakland's Neighborhoods by Erika Mailman, Oakland: Mailman Press, 2005

  2. Allendale on Wikipedia

  3. Henry Z. Jones Real Estate Collection, 1888-1933 Oakland History Center, Oakland Public Library

  4. Bond Election At Fruitvale Oakland Tribune March 9, 1903