The Crocker Bank Building is located at 393 - 13th Street / 1228 Franklin Street. Architect Milton Pflueger designed the Moderne bank building and Dinwiddie Construction was the builder in 1950-1952.
This is a high two story concrete late Moderne bank and office building clad in tan glazed tile and red granite. It has a red granite base about 7' high. Tall red granite posts and lintel frame the central five of the seven bays on 13th Street, creating a monumental entry. Windows on both stories are in fixed aluminum sash, small square ones on the top floor aligned above tall strips on the ground floor. Inside the main banking hall is two stories tall, floored and faced with marble. The building was most recently used, unaltered as a child care center.
Architect Milton Pflueger was the brother and sometime partner of the more renowned Timothy Pflueger (died 1946). This building is a fine example of a distinctive late Moderne style of institutional architecture applied to an updated banking temple. It occupies the site of a small classical Farmers and Merchants Savings Bank. 1
This historic building is #39 on the list of District Contributors/Noncontributor for the Downtown Oakland Historic District Registration Form. The Crocker Bank Building is a noncontributor. 1
Links and References
- National Register of Historic Places Registration Form: Downtown Oakland Historic District