Rev. David Richard ("D.R.") Wallace (September 30, 1878 – June 2, 1966) was the originator of St. Augustine's Episcopal Church.
Wallace was born September 30, 1878 in Cleveland, Ohio. It's unknown when he first came to Oakland; his name first appears in the Oakland Tribune in 1912. 2 St. Augustine's was then a mission of St. John's Episcopal Church.
In 1927, Wallace was elected president of the Oakland branch of the NAACP. 3 He continued to be involved with the NAACP; in 1937 he elected treasurer of the Alameda County NAACP, serving along with Byron Rumford. 4
Wallace married Ruby Mary Baham (Wallace) in 1939, and they had one daughter, Sharon Lavanda Wallace (Bryant).
Links and References
- Corner Stone Laying of New Mission of St. Augustine's Episcopal Church is Held Oakland Tribune August 14, 1920
- St. Augustine's Chapel Oakland Tribune December 25, 1912
- N.A.A.C.P. Executive Board Meets Oakland Tribune February 20, 1927
- Officers Elected Oakland Tribune December 26, 1937
- Activities Among Negros Oakland Tribune July 2, 1939