There are lots of events for Dia de los Muertos this year!
1. Day of the Dead Festival in Fruitvale.
2. North Oakland Day of the Dead
3. 19th Annual Days of the Dead Community Celebration, Sunday, October 27, 12-4:30pm, Oakland Museum of California, 1000 Oak Street.
OMCA comes alive for the 19th Annual Community Celebration for the Days of the Dead. Craft activities, tasty food, dance and music groups, colorful ofrendas, and ceremonia bring the community together for this healing tradition. Watch demonstrations of traditional Mesoamerican arts and cooking, and buy Days of the Dead merchandise by local artisans for your home altar from our mercado. Visit the special exhibition, The Tree of Life and Death: Días de los Muertos 2013, on view in the Gallery of California Natural Sciences. Included with Museum Admission. Free to OMCA Members.
For more info: www.museumca.org
4. Noche de los Muertos 2013, Sunday, November 3, 3-7pm, La Borinquena Mex-icatessen, 582 7th St.
FREE. A celebration for Days of Dead, the evening of November 3, 2013 from 3-7pm with deep rooted Mexican traditions, Oakland style. A fundraiser for WCRC (Women's Cancer Resource Center). A % of sales from ALL vendors (Art, Food & Drink) are being DONATED. Celebrate your loved ones, purchase amazing LOCALLY made goods AND support WCRC at the same time! This is a kid-friendly event! Bring los niños!
- LIVE Dee Jays in the back patio.
- Mexican Inspired Food by: Tina Tamale, Fist of Flour Pizza, Big Serg BBQ & Oaktown Jerk
- Vendors: Forrealism Fine Art, Localite Tours & Facepainting by Alana Dill
- Local Beer & Wine
- Blessing at 5:30pm
- Day of the Dead Community Altar -- Bring a photo of your departed loved one(s) to place in the altar for the night.
- Be Green! Venue is a short bike ride from West Oakland BART, Jack London/Old Oakland & Downtown Oakland
For more info, see their FaceBook Page.
5. Learn how to make dia flowers: October 28th:
Come learn how to make paper flowers for your Dia altar tonight at the Fruitvale San Antonio Senior Center! Second floor of Fruitvale Village- suite 201. 6PM -8PM
6. Jean Quan's newsletter with some more events.