Fourth Church of Christ, Scientist was a Christian Scientist church where the Lake Merritt United Methodist Church now stands.
The building was completed in 1923. It was designed by Carl Werner, and built at a cost of approximately $155,000 5 to $175,000. 4 The first services were in June, 1923. 5
Although it was deemed "architecturally significant", it was not granted landmark status. It was demolished, and the LMUMC building was completed in 1991.
The congregation dated back to at least 1911, when they met in Washington Hall, at 6th Avenue and East 12th Street. 2 A few years later, they were meeting in the Masonic Hall at 8th Avenue and East 14th Street. 3
Links and References
- Photos from Survey HABS CA-2272 on Library of Congress (note: many of these images are flipped horizontally)
- Sunday Topics in the Pulpits Oakland Tribune May 6, 1911
- Christian Science Doctrine Expounded Oakland Tribune September 4, 1916
- Beautiful New Science Church Oakland Tribune January 28, 1923
- Fourth Church of Christ is Opened Oakland Tribune June 4, 1923