I1896 Illustrated Directory

The Fraternal Hall was a small commercial building with meeting halls on the upper floor at 1156-1160 Washington (1314-1318 Washington after 1912 renumbering). It was built c.1891 next to the Westphal Building.

Numerous organizations used the meeting halls, including the First English Lutheran Church.

Beginning in 1891, the commercial space was home to Jones' Bazar.

From c.1896, the commercial space was home to Schlueter's. In 1911, Schlueter added a story to the building and made other improvements, and occupied the entire building until c.1923. 2,3

Later occupants include The Lorraine Millinery (1924+), The Vogue Women's Apparel (1951-1953) and California Luggage Company (1954+).

The entire area was later demolished and two blocks of Washington removed.

1902 Sanborn excerpt1891 119111912 Sanborn excerpt

Links and References

  1. Notice of Removal Oakland Tribune June 18, 1891
  2. Building Permits Oakland Tribune June 26, 1911
  3. Splendid Improvement Made On Washington Street Oakland Tribune July 30, 1911