The Grove Street School was located on, where else, Grove Street, between 4th and 5th Streets, in Oakland.
In 1887 the Principal of the Grove Street School was Mrs. Nancy D. Standeford, with only three teachers: Miss Mamie Campbell, Miss Jena W. Nesbitt, and Mrs. Emma G. Todd. Mrs. Sarah Heney worked as the janitor.
Following the death of educator Fred Campbell in 1905, it was renamed Campbell School. At that time, his daughter, Mamie Campbell, was principal. 1
Links and References
- In Honor of Late F.M. Campbell Oakland Tribune June 27, 1905