mausoleum at Home of Eternity
photo from Our Oakland

The Home of Eternity Cemetery is a small Jewish cemetery within the gates of Mountain View Cemetery. The cemetery opened in 1865 when the Hebrew Benevolent Society (HBS) purchased 2 acres of land from Mountain View Cemetery. For many years it was owned and operated by Temple Sinai; since 2019, it has been owned and run by Sinai Memorial Chapel.

The First Hebrew Congregation (as Temple Sinai was then known) was founded in 1875 by the HBS. In 1889, First Hebrew Congregation purchased 2 additional acres, and held a fundraiser to build a chapel. 1

A mausoleum was added in 1938, and expanded in the 1940s and 1960s.

Sinai Memorial Chapel, based in Palo Alto, took over in 2019.


Photos from Our Oakland

grave of Max F. Abrams, WWI vet kohanim hands grave of Samuel and Jennie Mittler

Photos from HiMY SYeD

Home of Eternity Mausoleum stepsHome of Eternity MausoleumAnnie Eileen Levy
1978 -2005

Home of Eternity Cemetery, April 5 2013

Oaklanders buried in Home of Eternity

Add new "HoEC people"

Links and References

  1. Purim Ball Oakland Tribune March 15, 1889