1911 2

James P. Edoff (January 1, 1856 – April 24, 1915) is the namesake of the Lake Merritt Bandstand. He was president of Oakland's first Board of Park Commissioners.

He was born in Laporte, Indiana, and moved with his family to Oakland when he was 14 years old.

Married Florence Jones (Edoff), and had three children: Frank J. Edoff, Florence Edoff (Baldwin) (Mrs. George P. Baldwin), and Aileen Edoff. Member of Odd Fellows, Masons, and Athenian Club. 1 Son Frank J. was married to Claire Bon (Edoff), daughter of city council member and winemaker Charles Bon. The Edoffs lived at 913 Grove Street (now MLK).

Edoff was remembered for his relief work following the 1906 earthquake and handled the relief funds in Oakland. Edoff was also appointed receiver when the California Bank of Oakland went into receivership.

The Lake Merritt Bandstand was named in his honor, three years after his death.

Links and References

  1. Past and Present of Alameda County, California, Volume 2 by Joseph Eugene Baker
  2. Greater Oakland edited by Evarts Blake, Pacific Publishing Co., 1911