John F. Slavich
photo from Oakland History Room
Dr. John Francis Slavich, Jr. (March 27, 1881 - October 2, 1950) was the 39th Mayor of Oakland and a medical doctor. He served from 1941-1945. Dr. Slavich was on the City Council in 1931 as Councilman at Large #2, Councilman at Large (there was only one) in 1935, 1939, and 1943. (CHECK THIS, overlaps with Mayor?).

Family and history

Slavich was born March 27, 1881 in Portland, Oregon and his family moved to Oakland when he was boy. He grew up at at 582 24th Street, and his father, John F. Slavich, Sr. ran the Louisville Restaurant on Broadway. He graduated from St. Francis de Sales Elementary, Oakland High, UC Berkeley, and from the UCSF School of Medicine in 1904.

Slavich was a veteran of WWI, where he served as a captain in the medical corps. He was active in the American Legion, and was was State commander in 1926-27. He was also active in the Elks and Moose Lodges, as well as the Knights of Columbus. Slavich had a medical practice downtown for more than 40 years at 428 13th Street. He and his wife (who was his former nurse) lived at 412 Bellevue Avenue.

Death and burial

Slavich died October 2, 1950 and is buried in Holy Sepulchre Cemetery in Hayward. His father, John Slavich, Sr., was interred at St. Mary's Cemetery on 12/16/22, before being moved to Holy Sepulchre on 5/16/23. His mother, Mrs. Abbie E. Slavich died July 24, 1945 and is buried with his father in Hayward.

signature from WWI draft card

Other tidbits

  • His sister, Margaret Elizabeth Slavich (1879-1956) was a proofreader in the commercial press division of the Oakland Tribune (1897-1949)
  • His sister, Stella Slavich (Barton) was married to architect Claude B. Barton.
  • John F. Slavich 's funeral notice in the Oakland Tribune, listed his surviving sisters all of Oakland, Miss Margaret E. Slavich, Mrs. Stella Barton, Mrs. Eva C. Abbott and Mrs. Olivia Starasinic.
  • Slavich sailed aboard the S.S. Leviathan from Southampton England to New York, NY in October 1927. He listed his address as "Easton Building, Oakland, Cal."
  • The 1900 census data shows him age 19, living at 582 24th Street with his parents.
  • The 1910 census data lists Ella Slavich (1884-1924) as his wife, and their address as 181 Santa Rosa Avenue
  • The 1920 census data lists their address as 378 Bellevue Avenue
  • Ella died in 1924, and by 1928 John had married Rae D. (1891-1961), and their address is listed as 240 Grand Avenue
  • May 24, 1924  with St. Francis de Sales pastor Monsignor Edward Dempsey introduced to Pope Pius XI at the Vatican
  • The 1930 census data lists John and Rae living at 240 Grand Avenue
  • The 1940 census data lists John and Rae living at 424 Bellevue
  • In 1933, Slavich was elected to the board of the Morris Plan Company