c.1915 photo 1

Lazear School was first constructed in 1914 2 at what was then the corner of Park and Division Streets (now 29th Ave. and E9th St.) It was named for Dr. Jesse Lazear, who gave his life in the research of malaria and yellow fever. Dr. Lazear died in 1900 in Cuba after deliberately allowing an infected mosquito to bite him. 3

The original school was demolished and a new building constructed in 1959. 5 It is now the Lazear Charter Academy. 4

Links and References

  1. Problems That Have Been Solved in Oakland's New Schools by John J. Donovan Architect and Engineer March 1915
  2. Oakland Builds Many Schools Oakland Tribune March 19, 1914
  3. Jesse William Lazear on Wikipedia
  4. Lazear Charter Academy website
  5. Dedication of Lazear School Set Tomorrow Oakland Tribune April 15, 1959