The Lemos Brothers, Frank, Pedro and John, were West Oakland-based artists in the early 20th century. Pedro (later Pedro Joseph de Lemos) was the most famous of the three.
The brothers' businesses had a variety of names over the years: Lemos Illustrating Company; Lemos Brothers, Artists and Engravers; Lemos Brothers Art and Photography Studio. Their father, Francisco (Frank) Lemos had emigrated from the Azores in Portugal in 1872, and ran a shoe making business.
Pedro was employed by Pacific Press Publishing Company in Oakland from 1900 to 1904. In 1904, he and John started an engraving business in San Francisco, which was destroyed by the 1906 earthquake. In 1907, the brothers plus two partners starting the Lemos Illustrating Co. In 1917, Pedro became the director of the art museum and gallery at Stanford University, which he continued until his retirement in 1945. 1
The brothers lived and worked at 1430 Myrtle Street.