1912 1

The Locke Building (also John M. Locke Building) is a commercial building at 568-582 - 14th St. It was completed in 1912, built for John M. Locke, 2 designed by Charles W. Dickey. 3

Initial tenants included Toggery Suit and Cloak House, Nelle W. Stone photography, Oakland Trunk Factory, M. Strauss & Co., and Friend's millinery. 1

The building still stands, though the exterior has been changed substantially.

1912 Sanborn excerpt1951 Sanborn excerpt

Links and References

  1. The Locke Building, 14th Street Bet. Clay and Jefferson Oakland Tribune April 26, 1912
  2. Unbounded Faith In The Future of Oakland Oakland Tribune April 28, 1912
  3. Wardrobe group celebrates new locale by Annalee Allen Oakland Tribune August 29, 2004