The beginnings of the Montclair Improvement Club can be trace back to as early as 1923. Member of the Pinehaven-Merriewood Improvement club of Montclair will hold their next meeting on March 7, 1923 at the home Mrs. G.C. (Edith) Mullin, 570 Thorn Road (6022 Thornhill Drive) as reported in Oakland Tribune. 1 Frank H Seeley was President.
The membership at first was made up of the residents of Montclair, Merriewood and neighboring communities.
On Sunday, November 8, 1925, members of the Improvement Club gathered at the junction of Thorn Road (Thornhill Drive) and Mountain Blvd. and began the construction of the new Montclair clubhouse. By working on Sundays and holidays and any other times as they can, the members hope to erect building without using the available funds for labor. This clubhouse would later be the home of the Montclair Women's Club.