Wondering where the actual legal borders exist between the Cities of Oakland and Berkeley and/or between Oakland and Emeryville?
You're not alone. The boundary line is confusing, especially because the Claremont Hotel and much of the residential area on the hills above the hotel are located in Oakland but with Berkeley mailing addresses. Google Maps and some other online sources further this confusion by showing the mailing addresses. Additionally, the Oakland and Berkeley council district maps have recently been revised so that they show parcels which are actually split by the city limit as being entirely within one city or the other -- this may be correct for voting purposes, but does not reflect the actual city boundaries.
This page presents a map of these borders based on the available sources listed below.
- Oakland Council District Locator (access to info on all 7 Council Districts)
- Berkeley District 8 map (including area just north of Rockridge, around the Claremont Hotel, and portions of the Lawrence Berkeley National Lab just east of the Lawrence Hall of Science)
- Berkeley District 6 map (including area just northeast of the Lawrence Hall of Science)
- Berkeley District 7 map (including area just north of Fairview Park AKA Lower Rockridge)
- Berkeley District 3 Map (including area north of Bushrod and Santa Fe)
- Berkeley District 2 map (including area north of Paradise Park, Golden Gate and Emeryville)
- Alameda County Assessor's Office Parcel Viewer (and available Assessor's Maps)
Links and References
- Our Oakland neighborhood map nmap.ouroakland.net