The second publicly-owned Oakland City Hall was built on the same foundation as the first Oakland City Hall (1869) on 14th Street at the head of Washington Street, after the previous City Hall burned down in 1877. This building was used until the current Oakland City Hall opened in 1914.
This building was a Second Empire/Classically-styled building, had a small tower with a large clock at each of the four sides, was rebuilt for $25,000. It was designed by A. L. and T. D. Newsom, but there was disagreement (at least from Dargie of the Tribune) about the choice. 3,4
Although this was the second City Hall to be owned by the City, it was the fourth building to be so used. More information is on this page: Oakland City Halls (Historic).
Links and References
- Oakland Public Library, Oakland History Room and Maps Division
- A Steeple Among the Oaks by Albert E. Norman
- Those Plans Oakland Tribune October 6, 1877
- Another Card Oakland Tribune October 9, 1877
- Used with permission by UC Berkeley, Bancroft Library
Used with permission by UC Berkeley, Bancroft Library
- The buildings of Oakland, with a section on Piedmont / Robert Bernhardi