The Oakland Produce Market (aka Wholesale Produce Market) began in 1916 in the area of 4th Street and Franklin Street and is still in operation today from Franklin Street between 1st to 5th Streets, one block north of Jack London Square. It's predecessor was the Oakland Produce Exchange.
Listed as encompassing 145 - 327 Franklin Street; 370 - 423 Second Street, architect Charles McCall.
[BTW ... does anyone know about the current status of the Produce Market ... are the merchants still looking for a new location?]
Links and References
- Produce Oakland Landscape of Change
Oakland produce mart needs new home San Francisco Chronicle/SFGate
- Oakland's Produce Market Water Front Action
- A Day in the Life of a Produce Man: Dedicated to the Memory of Frank Marchi The Produce Pair
- Discovering Oakland's Waterfront League of Women Voters of Oakland Waterfront Study
Oakland Waterfront Warehouse District (Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, with photos)