The Sausal Creek Water Company was founded in 1869 by Caspar Hopkins to supply Fruit Vale with water from Sausal Creek. Its stone dam, completed in June 1870, was located near upper Park Boulevard and held a small reservoir about 25 feet wide. Water from there was piped to another reservoir about 4000 feet downhill that served households along Fruitvale Avenue. The Contra Costa Water Company purchased it in 1872 and quickly hooked it up to the larger company's network.

The original dam was abandoned in 1906 after that reach of Sausal Creek became polluted. Two smaller dams were built farther uphill on Shepherd Creek and Miller Creek (Cobbledick Creek at Larry Lane?).


Groundwater Study and Water Supply History of the East Bay