St. Andrew's Catholic Church was a Catholic church near San Pablo Avenue.
A new building at 36th and Adeline was dedicated in 1909, under Pastor P. J. Quinn. 1
In 1957, the 1909 building was in the way of the MacArthur Freeway construction, so the church sold the building to the state of California. The state sold it to Greater St. John Missionary Baptist Church, which moved it to Market St. near 18th. The congregation built a new building on San Pablo near 32nd St., which it moved into in December 1957.
In 1965, St. Joseph's Catholic Church was merged into St. Andrew’s. 3 The resulting church was often referred to as St. Andrew’s — St. Anthony’s, and was around until 1989. The building was damaged in the Loma Prieta Earthquake. But because of declining membership, the diocese decided to close it instead of doing repairs. The building on San Pablo was subsequently torn down.
Links and References
- With Solemn Services, New St. Andrew's Church... Oakland Tribune September 18, 1909
- Blighted Triangle Turned Into Park Oakland Tribune November 6, 1959 (photos)
- Old Church Victim of Progress Oakland Tribune May 28, 1965