Not to be confused with St. Joseph's Institute, also run by the Christian Brothers and the Sisters of St. Joseph

St. Joseph’s Academy (1870–1986) was a Christian school for boys under 15, founded by the Christian Brothers. It was originally located at 5th and Jackson Streets and occupied the entire city block bounded by Jackson, Fifth, Madison and Fourth Streets.

The academy aimed to provide boys “a superior Christian education”, while surrounding them with “all the comforts and safeguards of home”.

1887 attendance cost $250 per year, which included board, washing, and tuition. An article that year mentions they had 150 students. 4

In 1903, St. Joseph’s moved to Berkeley, after exchanging property with Francis Dunn who was operating a boys' school in Peralta Park. 5,6

In 1969 they moved again, to Mont La Salle in Napa, 1 where lack of attendance eventually caused its closure in 1986. 2

ad in 1887 directory 3

1889 Sanborn excerpt

1903 Sanborn excerpt

Links and References

  1. Saint Mary's History
  2. De La Salle Institute District of San Francisco (via
  3. 1887 Oakland directory
  4. With Banners Oakland Tribune October 24, 1887
  5. Closing Exercises at St. Joseph's Oakland Tribune May 26, 1903
  6. Property Formerly Owned By M.B. Curtis Passes to Christian Brothers in a Trade Oakland Tribune January 3, 1903