The Veterans Memorial Building, designed by architect Henry H. Meyers and completed in 1926, includes an auditorium and two floors of dance, social, meeting, and office spaces overlooking Lake Merritt.
Currently, the Veterans Memorial Building is the home of the Downtown Oakland Senior Center by day, and Lake Merritt Dance during the evenings and weekends. The lawn in front of the building is the current location of the USS Maine Torpedo Port.
The site, located at the tip of the Glen Echo Creek arm of Lake Merritt, was given to the City by the estate of Edson Adams in 1903.
In 1924, Adams Park was chosen by the Oakland Park Board as an appropriate site for a veterans' recreational facility because of its separation from the main park. Its designation as a “monument” allowed the city to bypass restrictions that would have prevented the building of city facilities on donated park lands.
200 Grand Avenue, Oakland, California
De Witt Jones, ed., Oakland Parks and Playgrounds (Oakland: State Relief Administration, 1935).
Links and References
- Lake Merritt Dance official website
- Downtown Oakland Seniors Center official website.
- City of Oakland Letter dated Feb 14, 2017 official letter