14th StreetIllustrated Directory 1896
The Westphal Building was a small commercial building at 1162-1166 Washington Street (1320-1326 after renumbering). It also had frontage at 481-483 - 14th Street. It was constructed in 1891 and opened at the end of the year. 1
NB: The block of Washington no longer exists. The area is now part of City Center.
NB: In 1906, a building on 14th near Broadway was constructed and called the Westphal Building.
The building was home to Maxwell Hardware on the ground floor beginning in 1893, and the Hotel Pleasanton from c.1897.
1902 Sanborn excerpt1912 Sanborn excerpt
Links and References
classified ad Oakland Tribune January 12, 1892