1874 1

Miss Field's Seminary (also known as the Home School for Young Ladies, or simply Field Seminary) was a school for young women and girls founded in 1872 by Miss H.N. Field.

It was originally at 529 Hobart St. (now 21st St.), 2 which was later the site of the Sackett School. The photo from the California State Library has 423 Hobart written on the back, 1 but no such address can be found on the 1889 Sanborn maps.

1889 Sanborn excerpt

In 1879, the school moved to 1825 Telegraph in the Knox House, 2 about where present-day 27th St. is.

1892-1893 directory 51885 7

H.N. Field died c.1883, and her sisters Lucy A. Field and Caroline H. Field took over running it. They had been involved since about 1879. 3 An 1886 ad lists Miss L. Tracy as principal. 4 It's not yet known when the school closed. It still appears in the 1892-1893 directory, with Mrs. W.B. Hyde, principal. 5 The building on Telegraph was sold and demolished in 1898. 6

Links and References

  1. 990013904530205115 California State Library
  2. moving ad Oakland Tribune June 30, 1879
  3. The Home School for Young Ladies Oakland Tribune July 18, 1883
  4. ad Oakland Tribune January 22, 1886
  5. Husted's Oakland 1892-1893
  6. Carpenter Normal Injured Oakland Tribune June 11, 1898
  7. Oakland and Surroundings W.W. Elliott 1885