4th and Madison, 1911 3

The Oliver Manufacturing Company built engines and other materials. It was owned by William Letts Oliver.

John E. Doak invented the Doak Gas Engine in 1892. He formed a partnership with William Letts Oliver and incorporated as the Doak Gas Engine Company. 3

They built a new plant in 1917, which when complete was to "cover the entire block bounded by Fourth and Fifth, Jackson and Madison streets." 1 The plant lasted less than 20 years, and was replaced with a warehouse for S & W Grocery Company (aka S & W Fine Foods) in 1937. 2 That warehouse was part of the Waterfront Warehouse District, but itself was demolished and replaced by a new residential building around 2020.

c.1917 Cheney Photo Advertising
Oakland History Center
1911 Sanborn excerpt

Links and References

  1. Making Engines For War Oakland Tribune June 17, 1917
  2. $250,000 Going Into Business Improvements Oakland Tribune May 11, 1937
  3. Greater Oakland edited by Evarts Blake, Pacific Publishing Co., 1911