|Neighborhood Service Department Area|
|Neighborhood Association Group|
|Boulevard Park Neighborhood Association|
|City Council District 3|
|B Street in the North, I Street, to the South, 24th Street to the East and 16th Street to the West|
Boulevard Park was a name chosen by developers, while transitioning the area from the Union Race Track to a well-to-do neighborhood. The racetrack was originally encompassed by a brick wall and once held the California State Fair horse races for 40 years, ending in 1904. When the racetrack moved to the State Fairgrounds on Stockton Boulevard, the area was transitioned into a residential area, lined with Craftsman and Colonial Revival homes. The name Boulevard Park references the distinctive grassy strip on 21st and 22nd streets—the only area in Midtown with such medians.
The original Boulevard Park subdivision was opened for lot sales in 1905. This area is now listed on the National Register of Historic Places, due to the high integrity of historic properties and landscape features present. The listing research was conducted by William Burg as a component of his Masters degree work in history at Sacramento State University. A larger City of Sacramento historic district includes most of the original subdivision plus a number of older historic residential properties along H Street.
During those years when the state fair was in Midtown, the Union Race Track enjoyed a rich history. Two well-known names, Lincoln Steffens and Eadward Muybridge had experiences here that significantly affected their careers and the history of the United States.
- Grant Park 205 21st Street
Goods and Services, Food and Drink
Boulevard Park is one of the most exclusively residential neighborhoods in Midtown Sacramento. However, their are a few retail, commercial, and restaurant sites in the neighborhood most of which are concentrated on the I Street corridor or in the area West of 18th Street.
- Capital Ace Hardware (1815 I Street, 916-446-5246)
- Midtown Village Café (1827 I Street, 916-668-6052)
- Weatherstones Coffee & Trading (812 21st Street, 916-443-6340)
Health and Beauty
- Active Life Chiropractic Center (1831 I Street, 916-551-1545) website
- Deep. Art. Yoga (2030 H Street, 916-448-3337) website
- Honey Salon (818 19th Street #100, 916-442-6636) website
- Modern Body Tattoo (2017 I Street, 916-930-0689) website
- Sub Q Body Piercing (1715 I Street, 916-446-9777) website
- Thea Skin, Hair, Body, Mind (910 21st Street, 916-446-9772) website
- Bonfair Market (20th Street) (809 20th St, 916-441-1798)
- Save Rite Market (701 19th Street, 916-447-8155)
- Michaelangelo's (1725 I Street, 916-446-5012) website
- Moxie (2028 H Street, 916-443-7585)
- Nationwide Meats (1930 H Street, 916-444-3286)
- Washington Elementary is the only School located within the boundaries of Boulevard Park. The school serves students between kindergarten and 5th grade.
Pages tagged “Boulevard Park”
|Popular Neighborhoods||Alkali Flat, Curtis Park, Del Paso Heights, Downtown, East Sacramento, Land Park, Oak Park, Midtown,|
|Nearby Towns/Areas||Arden-Arcade, Carmichael, Citrus Heights, Clarksburg, Davis, Elk Grove, Fair Oaks, Folsom, North Highlands, Rancho Cordova, Roseville, Vineyard, West Sacramento,|